Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default above below or equal

I am setting up my nice new Combi heating system.
All radiators have TRVs except for the hall where I have a thermostat and
no TRV, the doors to the hall are normally open, the radiator sizing is
good having worked well for many years with the old boiler.

Should the thermostat be set above, below, or equal to the temperature the
hall reaches normally?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I am setting up my nice new Combi heating system.
All radiators have TRVs except for the hall where I have a thermostat
and no TRV, the doors to the hall are normally open, the radiator
sizing is good having worked well for many years with the old boiler.

Should the thermostat be set above, below, or equal to the
temperature the hall reaches normally?

Equal - but you may need to throttle the hall radiator a bit with the
lockshield valve to ensure that it doesn't heat up too quickly and turn the
whole lot off before the TRVs have had a chance to operate.

Incidentally, assuming that the new boiler is a *condensing* combi, the
radiator sizing may no longer be good - bearing in mind that, for optimum
efficiency, condensing boilers need to run at lower flow and return
temperatures than conventional boilers - thus reducing the *effective*
capacity of each radiator.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:42:27 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

|In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| I am setting up my nice new Combi heating system.
| All radiators have TRVs except for the hall where I have a thermostat
| and no TRV, the doors to the hall are normally open, the radiator
| sizing is good having worked well for many years with the old boiler.
|
| Should the thermostat be set above, below, or equal to the
| temperature the hall reaches normally?
|
|Equal - but you may need to throttle the hall radiator a bit with the
|lockshield valve to ensure that it doesn't heat up too quickly and turn the
|whole lot off before the TRVs have had a chance to operate.
|
|Incidentally, assuming that the new boiler is a *condensing* combi, the
|radiator sizing may no longer be good - bearing in mind that, for optimum
|efficiency, condensing boilers need to run at lower flow and return
|temperatures than conventional boilers - thus reducing the *effective*
|capacity of each radiator.

The house has had its insulation improved since I did the heating calcs for
the radiators.