Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY granite woktops.

For those who may be interested I have just finished a DIY install of
granite worktops. I bought two 2.3 metre lengths from an eBay seller
for £69.99 each. I bought a diamond blade for my angle grinder and set
to work cutting as appropriate. The stuff is very heavy (100kg per
sheet) so was very difficult to manoeuvre so had to get some
assistance.

Cutting was the biggest challenge, the cutout for a ceramic sink took
about 2 hours and is very dusty work. It was made more difficult due to
the fact that the blade only cut about 3/4 of the way through, so I had
to turn it over and do the other side.

The result are very nice looking worktops, total cost about £180, may
have to spend 20 quid on some granite sealer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"avocado" wrote in message
ps.com...

The result are very nice looking worktops, total cost about £180, may
have to spend 20 quid on some granite sealer.

Hope you don't run into my problem - I have a granite surface plate, and
left my height gauge in one place for around 6 weeks. Where the stainless
steel feet of the gauge were in contact with the granite it's distinctly
lighter in tone. And several weeks later (after removing the gauge), the
discoloration is still there...

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The result are very nice looking worktops, total cost about £180, may
have to spend 20 quid on some granite sealer.

I like the idea of DIY granite tops but the two that I have had fitted have
had sink units 'glued' to the underside. How would you go about making the
opening for these?
I believe I have seen router cutters capable of cutting granite/composite
type materials but the opening would still need polishing.
Where the edges polished or did you have to polish them?

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PhilC wrote:
The result are very nice looking worktops, total cost about £180, may
have to spend 20 quid on some granite sealer.

I like the idea of DIY granite tops but the two that I have had fitted have
had sink units 'glued' to the underside. How would you go about making the
opening for these?
I believe I have seen router cutters capable of cutting granite/composite
type materials but the opening would still need polishing.
Where the edges polished or did you have to polish them?

PhilC

Can you post some pictures somewhere, particularly of the sink
cut-outs.

Sounds interesting although the wife has some peculiar longing for wide
stave cherry worktops as well as that fancy French glazed lava stone
which costs one arm and one leg per linear metre (therefore only
suitable for short runs!).

Thanks,

Fash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like the idea of DIY granite tops but the two that I have had fitted have
had sink units 'glued' to the underside. How would you go about making the
opening for these?
I believe I have seen router cutters capable of cutting granite/composite
type materials but the opening would still need polishing.
Where the edges polished or did you have to polish them?

PhilC

The sink i used was an inset ceramic sink, so the opening didn't have
to be perfect as it is hidden. I doubt you could DIY a visible sink cut
out. The worktops had polished edges as supplied, where I cut it I used
a polishing disk to bring back the shine.

OK, they are not quite up to a professional standard if you look
closely, but they are ten times better than laminated chipboard.

Pictures to follow.

Granite problems EXT Home Repair 0 August 18th 06 05:07 PM
Granite Uses? Nehmo Home Repair 7 August 15th 05 02:13 AM
Granite Uses? Nehmo Home Ownership 7 August 15th 05 02:13 AM
granite [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 8th 05 04:44 PM
Granite Uses? Upscale Woodworking 0 July 27th 05 12:11 AM