Nehmo

Default Granite Uses?

I just came across a place that regularly throws away granite.
Here's a couple of pieces:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/ston...ite_pieces.jpg
And there's plenty of it.

It seems I could get a lot of pieces 1.25" thick, 30" wide, with varying
broken-off lengths (from would-be counters). There are lots of smaller
pieces too.

I don't have a wet saw, and I'm not familiar with laying stone, but I
suppose I could get one and learn.

What can I use this stuff for?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nehmo" wrote in message
I just came across a place that regularly throws away granite.
Here's a couple of pieces:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/ston...ite_pieces.jpg
And there's plenty of it.

What can I use this stuff for?

You can make all sorts of things with it, but you need the right tools to
finish it. Bookends, rolling pads for pastry, pen holders, napkin holders
decorative items, scones, etc. A water jet is good for cutting precision
stuff, but they cost about $200K

What can I use this stuff for?
-An introduction to meet the people who work there who will probably
cut it into any shape you want for a couple of bucks.

nospambob

I use a scrap about 12" X 18" for sharpening wood chisels using
wet/dry sandpaper. Post to rec.woodworking as might be some interest
there. Include your location in the post.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:57:46 GMT, "Nehmo" wrote:

I just came across a place that regularly throws away granite.
Here's a couple of pieces:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/ston...ite_pieces.jpg
And there's plenty of it.

It seems I could get a lot of pieces 1.25" thick, 30" wide, with varying
broken-off lengths (from would-be counters). There are lots of smaller
pieces too.

I don't have a wet saw, and I'm not familiar with laying stone, but I
suppose I could get one and learn.

What can I use this stuff for?

You're right. I had been planning to cut them myself, but these guys
are better setup for it. I already talked to them briefly. While I was
there. I took a couple of pics of their shop with my cell phone:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/ston...te_machine.jpg
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/stone/granite_shop.jpg
--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:57:46 GMT, someone wrote:

What can I use this stuff for?

They can't come up with an economic use for it, and you are asking us?
(If you think of something, tell them, and then they will stop
throwing it out.)

My friend makes picture frames from bluestone scraps t goto
www.pennsylvanibluestone.com and click onthe link for bluestone picture
frames He goes to a shop and hs the guy cut it for him for so many bucks per
foot but they look great . I have another friend that inlays bluestone in
table tops. You could do the same thing with that. I think I have a picture
will post it if you would like . Man more uses for scrap stone also
Bill
"Nehmo" wrote in message
I just came across a place that regularly throws away granite.
Here's a couple of pieces:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/ston...ite_pieces.jpg
And there's plenty of it.

It seems I could get a lot of pieces 1.25" thick, 30" wide, with varying
broken-off lengths (from would-be counters). There are lots of smaller
pieces too.

I don't have a wet saw, and I'm not familiar with laying stone, but I
suppose I could get one and learn.

What can I use this stuff for?

--

Sure,