Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY home cinema screen

Hi, all.

I've borrowed a projector for the xmas period, and am setting up a temporary
home cinema for the kids ( and me! ). The wall is not great as a screen,
so I was going to make a simple one. I was going to get a thin sheet of
cheap MDF or hardboard, and paint it.

The various AV forums suggest painting the screen material with Dulux
"IceStorm 5 or 6", which can be mixed at any shed.

The question is: how best to apply the paint to minimise texturing?

Texturing is OK under diffuse light, but is rather ruthlessly revealed under
intense projector light.
I've always thought rollers give a rather textured finish, but then again,
brushes can leave brush-strokes too.
I don't have an air gun, but could possibly borrow one. ( cue horrid
orange-peel effects from inexperienced air-brusher. )
I am also suspicious that 'regular' emulsion paints will not work well in an
air gun, for reasons unspecified. Bung them up, or something?

Which would you do: brush or roller, or air gun?

--
Ron