Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY DAV S400 DVD/Home cinema amplifier

Hello everybody,

I have a DAV-S400 CD/SACD/DVD player that does not start when playing
a dvd record. I looks like a focusing problem. There is an engineering
menu available but I dont have any information about how to use it.
Can anybody help me? I have been scouting around using google but cant
find any info.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

wrote in message
Hello everybody,

I have a DAV-S400 CD/SACD/DVD player that does not start when playing
a dvd record. I looks like a focusing problem. There is an engineering
menu available but I dont have any information about how to use it.
Can anybody help me? I have been scouting around using google but cant
find any info.

The first test, is to see if it will play a CD. If it does, but not a DVD,
then with one of these, there's a better than even chance that the laser is
u/s.

In the engineering menu , you should have " option 1 auto setup ". Select
this, then
option 0 " all ". It should then ask you if you want to reset the data.
Answer yes to restore original starting default settings. It will then open
its drawer, and ask you to insert a single layer DVD disc, and this is where
you might come unstuck, because you may not have one. They are typically
either genuine engineering test discs, or showroom sales demo discs. Both
Sony and Toshiba are two that I have seen. I use the Toshiba one in my
workshop. You might be able to lay hands on one by asking at your local
shop. They used to be abundant. I believe that some of the short ' give-away
' discs that have been popping up in mags and newspapers, may also be single
layer. Anyway, as part of the setup, the player first checks the layer data
from the disc, and will abort and spit it back out, if it's wrong.

Assuming that it goes ok, it will finish setting itself up for single layer,
then throw the disc out, and ask you for a CD. Any good quality full priced
pressed title will do. Do not use a home-burn. Again, when it has finished,
it will throw the disc out, and ask for a dual layer DVD. Use a good quality
pressed movie DVD for this setup.

When it has finished, it will spit the disc out, and I think, put up a table
of all the settings that it has determined. Not all models do this, but I
think that the '400 does. All of the settings should be within a digit or
two either side of the centre figure for the available range for that
adjustment, but note that they are in hex notation. Any serious deviation
from the centre ground, should be taken as an indication of a poor laser.

If you can't lay hands on a single layer disc, you could try selecting the
option to set up DL DVD only, rather than selecting the " all " option, but
I was originally told by Sony, a long time ago, that setting up for single
disc types only, was not recommended.

The laser for these comes as a preassembled deck, and is readily available,
and not particularly expensive. It is easy to fit, but remember to unsolder
the shorting point for the laser diode on the new one. After fitting, the
auto setup program, discussed above, must be run to complete the repair.

Good Luck

Arfa