Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Homebuyers Report: Dampness

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Maris writes:

In my previous house I used something called Limelite renovating
plaster for the first metre of brickwork that is usually hard rendered
by the damp proofing companies. It was lightweight and therefore there
was no condensation. It was also non-hygrospcopic unlike Carlite.
Sadly,the company don't seem to be around any more, although there are
similar products on the market, I believe.

Limelite is cement based, and should be avoided in these situations.
Whats needed is porous, so any damp can evaporate away. This means lime
plaster.

I have areas where the outside ground level is too high, and it's
not realistic to drop it. I removed the damp plaster back to the
brickwork. For scratch coat, I used 1:1:6 (cement:lime:sand) with
a waterproofer additive. This can breath

very little, you've got tanking there really.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 20 Dec 2006 09:09:48 -0800 wrote :
In my previous house I used something called Limelite renovating
plaster for the first metre of brickwork that is usually hard rendered
by the damp proofing companies. It was lightweight and therefore there
was no condensation. It was also non-hygrospcopic unlike Carlite.
Sadly,the company don't seem to be around any more, although there are
similar products on the market, I believe.

Limelite is cement based, and should be avoided in these situations.
Whats needed is porous, so any damp can evaporate away. This means
lime plaster.

http://www.cmspozament.com/news-lime...ic-house.shtml seems to
imply otherwise. It's a mixture of cement, lime, perlite and fibres to
stop cracking. And at £18.52 per 25kg bag (on one site thrown up by
Google) not cheap!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:41:11 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 20 Dec 2006 09:09:48 -0800 wrote :
In my previous house I used something called Limelite renovating
plaster for the first metre of brickwork that is usually hard rendered
by the damp proofing companies. It was lightweight and therefore there
was no condensation. It was also non-hygrospcopic unlike Carlite.
Sadly,the company don't seem to be around any more, although there are
similar products on the market, I believe.

Limelite is cement based, and should be avoided in these situations.
Whats needed is porous, so any damp can evaporate away. This means
lime plaster.

http://www.cmspozament.com/news-lime...ic-house.shtml seems to
imply otherwise. It's a mixture of cement, lime, perlite and fibres to
stop cracking. And at £18.52 per 25kg bag (on one site thrown up by
Google) not cheap!

It was never cheap!

Maris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 20 Dec 2006 09:09:48 -0800 wrote :

In my previous house I used something called Limelite renovating
plaster for the first metre of brickwork that is usually hard rendered
by the damp proofing companies. It was lightweight and therefore there
was no condensation. It was also non-hygrospcopic unlike Carlite.
Sadly,the company don't seem to be around any more, although there are
similar products on the market, I believe.

Limelite is cement based, and should be avoided in these situations.
Whats needed is porous, so any damp can evaporate away. This means
lime plaster.

http://www.cmspozament.com/news-lime...ic-house.shtml seems to
imply otherwise. It's a mixture of cement, lime, perlite and fibres to
stop cracking. And at £18.52 per 25kg bag (on one site thrown up by
Google) not cheap!

I read the page and it doesnt say the opposite at all, it confirms its
cement based, as you just have yourself. It also confirms its lack of
breathability.

Lime and sand are £6 and £1-2 a bag respectively, and will not do the
long term damage to soft brick and stone that cements often do. Being
genuinely breathable they will allow evaporation, which is enough to
keep most damp walls dry. To maintain this evaporation of any dampness
one should avoid non-porous coatings such as emulsion, instead using
distemper or similar.

I could talk about the use of EML and its effects on cracking, but
enough for one post. In short one should not assume that everyone
claiming conservation expertise actually has it, nor that what they do
have is sufficient to choose the best options in any given situation.
Even today there are still companies cement rendering wood framed
buldings.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 20 Dec 2006 10:59:28 -0800, wrote:

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 20 Dec 2006 09:09:48 -0800 wrote :
http://www.cmspozament.com/news-lime...ic-house.shtml seems to
imply otherwise. It's a mixture of cement, lime, perlite and fibres to
stop cracking. And at £18.52 per 25kg bag (on one site thrown up by
Google) not cheap!

I read the page and it doesnt say the opposite at all, it confirms its
cement based, as you just have yourself. It also confirms its lack of
breathability.

Where did you see the bit about lack of breathability? All I can see
in the item referred to is designed to 'control damp passing through
walls'. Are you assuming that means blocks it entirely?
Had a more in depth look at the www.ebuilding.co.uk website and it is
awesome in the debates on dampproofing. Limelite, of course, is
mentioned frequently. Also got to hear about Dryzone for the first
time. I thought that something like that existed but couldn't find
anything till now.

Lime and sand are £6 and £1-2 a bag respectively, and will not do the
long term damage to soft brick and stone that cements often do. Being
genuinely breathable they will allow evaporation, which is enough to
keep most damp walls dry. To maintain this evaporation of any dampness
one should avoid non-porous coatings such as emulsion, instead using
distemper or similar.

Wrong. Avoid vinyl-based emulsion. My lower ground floor problem room
is painted with this crap and it's a bugger to get off.

I could talk about the use of EML and its effects on cracking, but
enough for one post. In short one should not assume that everyone
claiming conservation expertise actually has it, nor that what they do
have is sufficient to choose the best options in any given situation.
Even today there are still companies cement rendering wood framed
buldings.

NT

Maris
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 20 Dec 2006 09:09:48 -0800 wrote :

http://www.cmspozament.com/news-lime...ic-house.shtml seems to
imply otherwise. It's a mixture of cement, lime, perlite and fibres to
stop cracking. And at £18.52 per 25kg bag (on one site thrown up by
Google) not cheap!

I read the page and it doesnt say the opposite at all, it confirms its
cement based, as you just have yourself. It also confirms its lack of
breathability.

Where did you see the bit about lack of breathability?

elsewhere, cement based renders have too little porosity to be
realistically described as breathable.

All I can see
in the item referred to is designed to 'control damp passing through
walls'. Are you assuming that means blocks it entirely?
Had a more in depth look at the www.ebuilding.co.uk website and it is
awesome in the debates on dampproofing.

heh, its one of those topics that never ends.

Lime and sand are £6 and £1-2 a bag respectively, and will not do the
long term damage to soft brick and stone that cements often do. Being
genuinely breathable they will allow evaporation, which is enough to
keep most damp walls dry. To maintain this evaporation of any dampness
one should avoid non-porous coatings such as emulsion, instead using
distemper or similar.

Wrong. Avoid vinyl-based emulsion. My lower ground floor problem room
is painted with this crap and it's a bugger to get off.

I thought thats what I just said

NT