Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What do I need to do to these drain access covers to make vehicle resistant?

In my gravel drive I have two drain access covers. They are black circular
plastic rings with a concrete infill. My problem is that as vehicles drive
over them the drains below are being damaged - in particular the plastic
riser rings are being unsettled one from another.
The covers seem to be designed not to sit into the risers but to sit on the
surrounding soil - they are considerably larger diameter than the risers.
Should I build a firm bed around the risers or should I make a mortar bed to
support the covers which is independent of the risers?
Anyone know these covers? or where I might get info?
thanks, Davy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
In my gravel drive I have two drain access covers. They are black circular
plastic rings with a concrete infill. My problem is that as vehicles drive
over them the drains below are being damaged - in particular the plastic
riser rings are being unsettled one from another.
The covers seem to be designed not to sit into the risers but to sit on the
surrounding soil - they are considerably larger diameter than the risers.
Should I build a firm bed around the risers or should I make a mortar bed to
support the covers which is independent of the risers?

Thats what I did.
Concrete rong under the lip of the cover.