Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default When bulb blows, earth leakage circuit breaker is tripped

Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

MM

I suspect you don't mean earth leakage trips..its uncommon to have those
on lighting circuits alone..

Yes, its very common for bulbs to trip a standard MCB.. as they arc on
failure and draw quite large currents before burning out. Mine do it
every time..I s'pose I could replace then with slower acting ones..but I
can't be arsed..

RCD's can also trip if they are marginal, and there is a lot
ofcapaicatbce between live or neutral and ground..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect you don't mean earth leakage trips..its uncommon to have those
on lighting circuits alone..

Yes, its very common for bulbs to trip a standard MCB.. as they arc on
failure and draw quite large currents before burning out. Mine do it
every time..I s'pose I could replace then with slower acting ones..but I
can't be arsed..

Out of interest, how do they specify slower acting ones ? I've never
seen them, but then for a twice-a-year event (the MCB tripping on bulb
blowing) I also fall into the CBA category ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Yes, its very common for bulbs to trip a standard MCB.. as they arc on
failure and draw quite large currents before burning out. Mine do it
every time..I s'pose I could replace then with slower acting ones..but I
can't be arsed..

They also are supposed to have fast-blow fuses inside each bulb these
days to stop this happening. Does it? Does it hell!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Yes, its very common for bulbs to trip a standard MCB.. as they arc on
failure and draw quite large currents before burning out. Mine do it
every time..I s'pose I could replace then with slower acting ones..but I
can't be arsed..

They also are supposed to have fast-blow fuses inside each bulb these
days to stop this happening. Does it? Does it hell!

Not all do. Candle bulbs are the worst offenders..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

internal fuses
Not all do. Candle bulbs are the worst offenders..

Don't have any handy to peep at.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:20:13 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

MM

I suspect you don't mean earth leakage trips..its uncommon to have those
on lighting circuits alone..

I mean the switches in place of the fuses of yore. My consumer unit
contains a whole row of them. Mostly black, some red.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Are you sure you mean ELCB? It would be an unusual domestic installation
which had these on individual lighting circuits. Sure you don't mean MCB?

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

Standard MCBs trip in a shorter time than a wire fuse takes to blow, and
bulbs often draw excessive current at the instant when they blow. Plenty
of theories on why - you'd probably find them by Googling.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:25:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Are you sure you mean ELCB? It would be an unusual domestic installation
which had these on individual lighting circuits. Sure you don't mean MCB?

Yeah, probably I do! I just mean the switches fitted as standard
nowadays where my old 1947 council house had push-in fuse holders.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:25:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Standard MCBs trip in a shorter time than a wire fuse takes to blow,

That rather depends on the situation.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

MM

Like the rest I reckon you've got ELCB's and MCB's muddled. If the
ELCB went then the whole house would in all likelihood go down. As
you've got a modern house I suspect you will have a split consumer unit
in which the lights are NOT off the ELCB so that if an earth leakage
occurs in an item on the power circuits and does trip the ELCB, then
the lights will remain on.

Having said all, thanks for asking the question as I've recently done a
CU replacement and was heading towards asking the same one due to the
nuisance trips when a bulb fused. I'm surprised at one contributor who
reckoned he only got 1 or 2 a year - he must buy better quality
filament bulbs than me as I get one every couple of months.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 12 Dec 2006 08:52:39 -0800, "robgraham"
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Well, I only buy the cheapest bulbs, Tesco's or ASDA's Smart Price
brand. They seem to last as long as any other and are dirt cheap. I
reckon I replace two or three a year, tops. Most bedrooms, however,
never have them switched on from one month to the next.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

Two solutions :-

1. Change MCB (I am sure you meant MCB not ELCB) to type C.
(www.tlc-direct.co.uk) as this has a higher over-load/time trip. This worked
for me in my hall lights (4 x 60W). Got fed up of coming home, turn on hall
lights and flash and still in dark. In fact very dark as the IR triggered
outside light is on same circuit, so is the garage lights which makes
getting to the breaker very hard.

2. Change to low enrgy bulbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

Two solutions :-

1. Change MCB (I am sure you meant MCB not ELCB) to type C.
(www.tlc-direct.co.uk) as this has a higher over-load/time trip. This worked
for me in my hall lights (4 x 60W). Got fed up of coming home, turn on hall
lights and flash and still in dark. In fact very dark as the IR triggered
outside light is on same circuit, so is the garage lights which makes
getting to the breaker very hard.

1.5) install a non maintained emergency light at the CU and anyplace
enroute to it that may prove difficult to navigate when dark.

(and to be fair 1) is not a total solution - you can still trip those on
bulb failure - just not as often.

2. Change to low enrgy bulbs.

--
Cheers,