Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default When bulb blows, earth leakage circuit breaker is tripped

On 12 Dec 2006 08:52:39 -0800, "robgraham"
wrote:

MM wrote:
Sometimes when a bulb blows (ceiling light) it causes the ELCB for the
circuit to trip. That is, if the bulb is in one of the upstairs rooms,
only the upstairs lighting ELCB is tripped. The power points are
unaffected, as are the power points and lighting circuits downstairs.

Is this just because modern wiring is so much more "safe" than once
was the case? This house was built in 2004.

MM

Like the rest I reckon you've got ELCB's and MCB's muddled. If the
ELCB went then the whole house would in all likelihood go down. As
you've got a modern house I suspect you will have a split consumer unit
in which the lights are NOT off the ELCB so that if an earth leakage
occurs in an item on the power circuits and does trip the ELCB, then
the lights will remain on.

Having said all, thanks for asking the question as I've recently done a
CU replacement and was heading towards asking the same one due to the
nuisance trips when a bulb fused. I'm surprised at one contributor who
reckoned he only got 1 or 2 a year - he must buy better quality
filament bulbs than me as I get one every couple of months.

Well, I only buy the cheapest bulbs, Tesco's or ASDA's Smart Price
brand. They seem to last as long as any other and are dirt cheap. I
reckon I replace two or three a year, tops. Most bedrooms, however,
never have them switched on from one month to the next.

MM