Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Draft from Extractor fan

Hi all,

This summer I installed a batroom extractor fan to reduce the
condensation when showering, etc - particularly in winter.
It's one of thos B&Q / Greenwood kits, ie through the ceiling to loft,
flexible pipe, out through soffit board under the eaves.
It was only £23 as I bought the version without "run-on" and operate
it simply from the bathroom light.

It seems to be doing a good job, but during the recent windy weather
particularly, I feel quite a draft entering the bathroom. I think this
will lead to significant heat loss and a less than hot bathroom which
I like.

Does anyone know if there is a "louvre" end cover that I can buy on
its own and ideally has the same 5" hole and screw footprint as the
B&Q/Greenwood.
Will the fan be powerfull enough to suck open the louvres if installed
at bathroom end, or blow them open if installed outside under soffit ?
Which end is preferred ?

Thanks.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David has brought this to us :
[...]

When I installed ours, as part of the kit I fitted on the outside a
plastic 'flap valve'. A disk which filled the aperture pivoted off
centre, such that it would close under its own weight or if the wind
blew against it, yet the draft from the fan when it was turned on was
enough to open it fully.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

,nip
Will the fan be powerfull enough to suck open the louvres if installed
at bathroom end, or blow them open if installed outside under soffit ?
Which end is preferred ?

Thanks.

David

When I installed ours, as part of the kit I fitted on the outside a
plastic 'flap valve'. A disk which filled the aperture pivoted off
centre, such that it would close under its own weight or if the wind
blew against it, yet the draft from the fan when it was turned on was
enough to open it fully.

Was it one of the B&Q/Greenwood/Marley fans ?
Tnx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 08/12/2006, David supposed :
Was it one of the B&Q/Greenwood/Marley fans ?
Tnx

I put it in a good five years ago, so I cannot remember. I sure B&Q
will have something similar.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David writes:
,nip
Will the fan be powerfull enough to suck open the louvres if installed
at bathroom end, or blow them open if installed outside under soffit ?
Which end is preferred ?

When I installed ours, as part of the kit I fitted on the outside a
plastic 'flap valve'. A disk which filled the aperture pivoted off
centre, such that it would close under its own weight or if the wind
blew against it, yet the draft from the fan when it was turned on was
enough to open it fully.

Was it one of the B&Q/Greenwood/Marley fans ?

I fitted a Vent-Axia Silhouette 100mm fan a few years ago,
and that has just such a back draft stop built into the rear
of the fan. (Screwfix item 47989 or 92561.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:42:07 GMT, David wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a "louvre" end cover that I can buy on
its own and ideally has the same 5" hole and screw footprint as the
B&Q/Greenwood.

Yes, various options in the sheds. However most anti back draft shutters
are gravity operated and rely on the vent being vertical. If your outlet
is horizontal they won't work as is. You'll need to find something that
can go in line somewhere or prehaps adapt a vent with a anti back draft
plate to work in line.

ISTR that the Marley site is pretty good for showing what they make.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Fixing a Down draft ventilator fan [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 29th 06 07:14 PM
Extractor fan Rick UK diy 0 January 29th 06 11:21 PM
Oil furnace draft test fan off -02 to fan on +01 problem? [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 3rd 05 07:23 PM
Draft Proofing a bathroom fan 9100DN OWNER UK diy 3 January 24th 05 11:52 AM
Extractor Fan Caher UK diy 28 December 7th 03 11:47 PM