Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement CH Boiler + 6 Rads Cost

I have at present an ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF60 boiler of some vintage
and 7 radiators fed by 10mm microbore piping .. I am to get a £2000 interest
free loan + £500 grant from a local Energy Efficiency Group ( either local
authority or Scottish Executive funded) .

They want 3 estimates and the first one from an approved contractor has quoted
for replacing the boiler and 6 rads ( one of mine is new) ...He said they would
not fit the new condensing /combi boiler to such an old system so are proposing
to replace the 10mm with 15mm copper.

The cost is a total of £2700,me paying the extra £200 myself . . Does that sound
reasonable ?

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart wrote:
I have at present an ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF60 boiler of some vintage
and 7 radiators fed by 10mm microbore piping .. I am to get a £2000 interest
free loan + £500 grant from a local Energy Efficiency Group ( either local
authority or Scottish Executive funded) .

They want 3 estimates and the first one from an approved contractor has quoted
for replacing the boiler and 6 rads ( one of mine is new) ...He said they would
not fit the new condensing /combi boiler to such an old system so are proposing
to replace the 10mm with 15mm copper.

The cost is a total of £2700,me paying the extra £200 myself . . Does that sound
reasonable ?

very.

hold on to the last £200 until you are 100% satisfied with the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:14:36 GMT, "." wrote:

Stuart wrote:
I have at present an ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF60 boiler of some vintage
and 7 radiators fed by 10mm microbore piping .. I am to get a £2000 interest
free loan + £500 grant from a local Energy Efficiency Group ( either local
authority or Scottish Executive funded) .

They want 3 estimates and the first one from an approved contractor has quoted
for replacing the boiler and 6 rads ( one of mine is new) ...He said they would
not fit the new condensing /combi boiler to such an old system so are proposing
to replace the 10mm with 15mm copper.

The cost is a total of £2700,me paying the extra £200 myself . . Does that sound
reasonable ?

very.

hold on to the last £200 until you are 100% satisfied with the job.

Indeedy .........and I'll be keeping hold of all the old copper as
well,including the cylinder . ( I'm Scottish...lol)

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I have at present an ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF60 boiler of some vintage
and 7 radiators fed by 10mm microbore piping .. I am to get a £2000 interest
free loan + £500 grant from a local Energy Efficiency Group ( either local
authority or Scottish Executive funded) .

They want 3 estimates and the first one from an approved contractor has quoted
for replacing the boiler and 6 rads ( one of mine is new) ...He said they would
not fit the new condensing /combi boiler to such an old system so are proposing
to replace the 10mm with 15mm copper.

The cost is a total of £2700,me paying the extra £200 myself . . Does that sound
reasonable ?

Reasonable but not necessarily cheap. In some areas you can get a full
supply and install for under £2000, but it depends on the complexity
of the job, the make and model of boiler, the size of the radiators,
and the price of plumbers in your area. I'd not be too worried if that
were the best quote, but equally wouldn't be surprised if you get one a
fair bit cheaper. www.diyboilers.com is quite a useful site for getting
an idea of boiler and radiator costs, which would give you a better
idea of what you're being charged for the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec 2006 12:27:38 -0800, "
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Thx for the link to that site .Very useful.

After the contractor left yesterday I was wondering why he didn't suggest just
renewing the microbore .I would have thought that route would be easier in
respect of lifting floorboards etc rather than using 15mm or do they have a
secret way of getting the 15mm under the floor .I can't imagine so .

Is there any disadvantage in using microbore . I know it is used in some new
builds so presumably not . Only downside I can see is that it doesn't look so
pretty where it projects from the floor .

Stuart