Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yaz Yaz is offline

Default Flexible Mortar

I have to fill in edges on a screeded floor. Ie area between wall and
floor. I need this to be filled in perhaps with a gun be flexible and not
too brittle. Also it needs to be soft/liquid enough to thoroughly fill the
gaps. I have Under floor Heating. Can any one recommed a cheap and decent
product that I may use?

Yaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yaz wrote:
I have to fill in edges on a screeded floor. Ie area between wall and
floor. I need this to be filled in perhaps with a gun be flexible
and not too brittle. Also it needs to be soft/liquid enough to
thoroughly fill the gaps. I have Under floor Heating. Can any one
recommed a cheap and decent product that I may use?

Yaz

What do you mean by 'mortar'? - you can't have something that sets like
mortar, that is flexible.
how wide and deep is the gap?
Why does it need to be flexible?

Why not use silicone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yaz Yaz is offline

"Phil L" wrote
What do you mean by 'mortar'? - you can't have something that sets like
mortar, that is flexible.

Cement like

how wide and deep is the gap?

Gaps are all around the edges and so the foam is loose, the gaps ranges from
5mm to 20mm
Why does it need to be flexible?

Needs to have a little bit of flexibility I think due to the Under Floor
Heating expansion/contraction

Why not use silicone?

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get hold of a
good amount at a cheap price?

Yaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Yaz" wrote in message

Why not use silicone?

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get hold of
a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:
"Yaz" wrote in message

Why not use silicone?

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get
hold of a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

That's expensive siicone!...it's only £1.52 if you buy 36 tubes, I can get
them in boxes of 20 for £20, white or clear

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
visionset wrote:
"Yaz" wrote in message

Why not use silicone?
Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get
hold of a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

That's expensive siicone!...it's only £1.52 if you buy 36 tubes, I
can get them in boxes of 20 for £20, white or clear

and boxes of 25 for £23.98
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=87846

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get
hold of a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

That's expensive siicone!...it's only £1.52 if you buy 36 tubes, I
can get them in boxes of 20 for £20, white or clear

and boxes of 25 for £23.98
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=87846

Yeah but my Screwfix is 1 mile away so I don't pay postage and don't have to
store anything I might need in x months time. You can't really put a price
on convenience, but it doesn't get much more convenient than that. Funny
how quiet B&Q next door is these days.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get
hold of a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

That's expensive siicone!...it's only £1.52 if you buy 36 tubes, I
can get them in boxes of 20 for £20, white or clear

and boxes of 25 for £23.98
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=87846

Yeah but my Screwfix is 1 mile away so I don't pay postage and don't
have to store anything I might need in x months time. You can't
really put a price on convenience, but it doesn't get much more
convenient than that. Funny how quiet B&Q next door is these days.

True, it does go off if you don't use it fast enough..although I don't buy
online at all, i get mine from a BM near here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:53:16 GMT, "visionset"
wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...

Will this not be too costly? Id love to use silicone If I can get
hold of a good amount at a cheap price?

white, clear or brown £1.52 - cheap enough?!

That's expensive siicone!...it's only £1.52 if you buy 36 tubes, I
can get them in boxes of 20 for £20, white or clear

and boxes of 25 for £23.98
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=87846

Yeah but my Screwfix is 1 mile away so I don't pay postage and don't have to
store anything I might need in x months time. You can't really put a price
on convenience, but it doesn't get much more convenient than that. Funny
how quiet B&Q next door is these days.

Given that they're both part of the same group, I can't see them being
too bothered about losing trade one to the other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:

Yeah but my Screwfix is 1 mile away so I don't pay postage and don't have to
store anything I might need in x months time. You can't really put a price
on convenience, but it doesn't get much more convenient than that. Funny
how quiet B&Q next door is these days.

Don't bank on them though.

The last three or four times I have used Screwfix locally (Crawley),
they have not been able to fulfill an order. Lots of items out of stock.

This entailed a trip back to B&Q or builders merchant. Twice the petrol
and time wasted.

I have to pass them when I take the missus to work at Gatwick once or
twice a week but otherwise I would not bother.

Good if you order by phone, or internet but the local Screwfix depot
often just cannot supply all the goods you need to do a job.

And the queues are much slower than B&Q. The free coffee machine helps
but could leave one in an embarrassing position when standing behind a
person who is asking the clueless person behind the counter about a
catch for her dog kennel, or if they had anything to stop her toilet
flushing every few minutes...ouch!

Unless they get their act together, I predict that their local stores
will prove to be a big mistake as people will get fed up with all of this.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
visionset wrote:

Yeah but my Screwfix is 1 mile away so I don't pay postage and don't
have to store anything I might need in x months time. You can't
really put a price on convenience, but it doesn't get much more
convenient than that. Funny how quiet B&Q next door is these days.

Don't bank on them though.

The last three or four times I have used Screwfix locally (Crawley),
they have not been able to fulfill an order. Lots of items out of
stock.

Toolstation have started opening outlets, albeit only in the west country so
far. You can 'order' on the web, choose an outlet and it checks availablity
at the one you choose.

Never tried it. Just wish I had a Screwfix or Toolstation near me!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Flexible mirror Dave UK diy 14 November 24th 06 07:11 PM
Flexible ducts? mgarvie Home Repair 2 February 10th 06 01:24 AM
Printing on flexible plastic. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 32 August 23rd 05 01:46 PM
Flexible Connections TheScullster UK diy 0 June 3rd 04 01:27 PM
Flexible connectors PoP UK diy 9 October 23rd 03 05:44 PM