Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flashing

Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the jobs
was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.

"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.

Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next to
that.....

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at night
and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10 metres of porch
flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at night
and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10 metres of porch
flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

"Dear Pikey, if you have any cheap lead to flog I can find a real good
use for it..." ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon wrote:

regularly has to
visit the permanent traveller sites to replace the copper piping from
the toilet blocks

*if* that is so, you'd think the council would have cottoned-on and
replaced with plastic pipe by now ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-01 23:51:34 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the
jobs was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.

"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.

Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next
to that.....

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at
night and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10
metres of porch flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

Yes, but you may want to give it a different title to the one of this
thread. Some of your little-old-lady customers might think that it's
part of your entertainment repertoire. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 08:24:26 +0000, Andy Burns said:

Jon wrote:

regularly has to visit the permanent traveller sites to replace the
copper piping from the toilet blocks

*if* that is so, you'd think the council would have cottoned-on and
replaced with plastic pipe by now ...

Well you would... but....

A business acquaintance in Johannesburg told me of the problems of
telecommunication cabling.

For many years there has been a common practice of stealing sections of
underground copper cable that are run through the sewers. The method
is to drive up to a manhole cover using a vehicle with appropriate tow
hood etc. and to attach that to the cable in some way and drive off.
A reasonable length of cable follows. Insulation is burnt off and
the copper gathered and sold.

More recently it was hoped that the introduction of fibre optic cables
would dissuade such thieves. Not a bit of it - the practice continues
- except this time, the fibre bundles are apparently cut and
incorporated into fibre optic lamps sold by traders at the roadside or
at traffic lights. It seems that the margin is higher than for copper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:27:58 -0000, Jon wrote:

Presumably they sell the piping for scrap or something. It beggars
belief that people would rip out pipes from buildings which have been
provided to them free of charge at taxpayers expense, but they do.

Free money. Don't see why they should be replaced more than once a year
with at least a 6 month delay from damage to replacement. Let the pikeys
carry water from a standpipe a mile from the caravan site.

Plastic? They'd just set fire to it or try to.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-01 23:51:34 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the
jobs was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.

"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.

Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next
to that.....

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at
night and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10
metres of porch flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

Yes, but you may want to give it a different title to the one of this
thread. Some of your little-old-lady customers might think that it's
part of your entertainment repertoire. ;-)

might be a new line of business for him

Sounds like you need to sell them security cams too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the
jobs was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.

"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.

Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next to
that.....

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at
night and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10 metres
of porch flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

I would feel a need to recommend an alternative material, with a low scrap
value.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the jobs
was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.
"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.
Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next to
that.....
Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at night
and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10 metres of porch
flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?
I feel a flyer coming on..............

what, "cheap lead flashing wanted", for distribution round the pikey sites?

Don't forget 'Please number on removal".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

Went to give an estimate today on a local industrial estate. On of the
jobs was to replace the lead flashing over the porch area.

"Why does it need replacing?" I asked the client. "Because it's been
stolen" he replied.

Sure enough it had been, and from the unit next door, and the one next to
that.....

Apparently the local pikeys, if short of beer vouchers, come around at
night and pinch the flashing from the porches. 400 units with 10 metres
of porch flashing, stolen apparently twice a year?

I feel a flyer coming on..............

I would feel a need to recommend an alternative material, with a low scrap
value.

Colin Bignell

or maybe stamp an identifiable code all over the lead, so either theyve
got a lot of extra work to do or they get nicked as its traceable.
Photos of lead needed, kept offsite.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Bignell wrote

I would feel a need to recommend an alternative material, with a low
scrap value.

As I have done.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
or maybe stamp an identifiable code all over the lead, so either theyve
got a lot of extra work to do or they get nicked as its traceable.
Photos of lead needed, kept offsite.

Reputable scrap dealers wouldn't be buying the lead anyway and the other
sort wouldn't be worried.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns
saying something like:

The ****s would just make blowpipes out of it.
--

Dave

Flashing leak VisionSet UK diy 10 October 3rd 06 09:50 PM
Flashing question needhelp Home Ownership 1 July 7th 06 08:23 PM
roof flashing bill Home Repair 6 October 24th 05 12:29 AM
Can copper flashing be used over existing galvonized flashing? Jay Spenchian Home Repair 10 August 22nd 03 05:42 PM
Conservatory flashing atg UK diy 2 August 4th 03 11:51 PM