Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

Default Speaker zones to recieve wifi music from iTunes... how?

While installing a downstairs shower-room and extending and remodelling
my kitchen, I lowered the ceilings in both rooms, so that I could
install, low voltage, recessed spots.
At the same time, I took the opportunity to also install flush mounted,
boat speakers in both rooms. I ran the wiring to emerge at the back of
my TV, where I connected up to the auxillary speaker ports and could
then access the radio stations available through Sky digital, to enjoy
in the two rooms, fed by the zones.

This was great as a quick set-up but, with three young kids in the
house, I soon got fed up with constantly listening to Dora the bloody
Explorer while I showered or made breakfast!

Rather than buying a new music system to feed these two zones, I was
wondering if it would be possible (and economically viable) to set up a
system which would allow the new speaker zones, to pick up music,
wirelessley from my PowerBook G4, as this is by far the best source for
my music, as I have a large library of MP3s and there are all the radio
stations that now netcast.

I have a wireless network operating in the house and this is
distributed through a Vigor 2600G router. Rather than buying wireless
speakers, which are unlikely to allow direct replacement of the ones I
currently have in the ceiling, I am wondering if a device exists that
can connect to standard speakers, act as a receiver, and enable said
speakers to emit sound, as broadcast from my laptop's iTunes, over the
wifi network!

Can this be done or are dedicated wireless speakers the only option for
picking up wifi music?

cheerz
deerz,
deano.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

"deano" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Have a look at the Squeezebox system. Can run from your I-tunes library
(except if you have paid for the tracks)

www.slimdevices.com

I have the older (4 or so years ago) version called the SliMP3; its very
good.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

deano wrote:
[...]

I'm doing a similiar thing in a bathroom I'm doing using one of these
http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=KLABKIT as the amplifier and
fitting a 3.5mm jack socket as the input. Music can then be played from
an airport express or from an ipod, or from anything else. Looked at
building an ipod dock into the wall, but it seemed a bit prone to
obsolescence. Also looked at dedicated built in streaming things, but
the prices didn't make sense.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

Airport Express is made to do what you want to do. It will require an
amp - look in ebay or cpc for a cheapo one, and a nearby main socket.
I'm doing what you are doing in my kitchen. The airport output is a
3.5mm minijack, but thats easy enough to connect to your amp then your
speakers. £80 quid or so for the Airport express, cheaper on
ebay..However, there is a possibility of an update to the Airport range
in January (mac expo) so you might want to wait..

Emma

wrote:
deano wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

I deleted the duplicated message at the start of the thread and think I
killed
it, so I'm replying to my latest message here. Hopefully this will
re-instate the
thread...

deano wrote:
wrote:
Airport Express is made to do what you want to do. It will require an
amp - look in ebay or cpc for a cheapo one, and a nearby main socket.
I'm doing what you are doing in my kitchen. The airport output is a
3.5mm minijack, but thats easy enough to connect to your amp then your
speakers. £80 quid or so for the Airport express, cheaper on
ebay..However, there is a possibility of an update to the Airport range
in January (mac expo) so you might want to wait..

Emma

Out of interest... my Vigor router is mounted on the wall, outside my
shower room.
As such, it would be quite a simple matter for me to hook up to one of
the ports on this.
It's a 4-port hub as well as a router and has a USB port as well (for
printer sharing).

Could I somehow connect this to an amplifier which could then power the
speakers,
in the rooms mentioned? I could control sound to these speakers by
simply installing
switches in the feed from the amp to them... I'm not that bothered
about IR control of the
zones... going further, maybe I could connect 2 amps to the router...
one for the showeroom
zone and one for the kitchen.

Before I go searching, anyone know if this is possible?

ta,

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

On 3 Dec 2006 09:59:39 -0800, "deano"
wrote in .com:

wrote:
[...]

The Apple Airport Express can also work wired, and is what you need to
use iTunes. Highly recommended.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: http://Wireless.wikia.com
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi
Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

John Navas wrote:

The Apple Airport Express can also work wired, and is what you need to
use iTunes. Highly recommended.

But that defeats the object!
If I'm to buy an AE (or two, or more), then I may as well use them
wirelessly!
What I was thinking about was a small amp that would do away with the
need for
an AE, and therefore the £80 or so associated for each. However, it
follows that any
amp (wireless or wired), is unlikely to be able to stream audio from
iTunes, in the way
that an AE could! When using Apple kit and iTunes, only other Apple
components are likely
to work in conjunction, and any amp would just be a slave, used to
relay the data it is fed,
to a set of connected speakers...

I think I'm putting too much onus on the amp... it's the receiver
that's the key and an iTunes compatible relationship between any ADSL
router and amplifier is unlikely to exist for under the cost of an AE
and amp combination (@ £150).

muchos thankos.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

On 5 Dec 2006 16:33:37 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , "deano"
wrote:

John Navas wrote:

The Apple Airport Express can also work wired, and is what you need to
use iTunes. Highly recommended.

But that defeats the object!
If I'm to buy an AE (or two, or more), then I may as well use them
wirelessly!
What I was thinking about was a small amp that would do away with the
need foran AE,

To be clear: to transmit music over a wireless network you need four
things:

1) an encoder to convert the MP3s or analog signals from vinyl into IP
packets.
2) a means ot inject these packets into hte wireless network.
3) a means to extract them again
4) a means to convert IP packets into analog signals to feed to your
speakers.

The iTunes s/w can do the first (so can plenty of other s/w of
course).
A wireless router connected to the Pc running iTunes can do the 2nd.
You need something like a squeezebox to do the 3rd and 4th.

--
Mark McIntyre
Posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.d-i-y,alt.internet.wireless

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:35:56 +0000, Mark McIntyre
wrote in
:

wrote:

John Navas wrote:

[...]

Or Apple Airport Express, which is what iTunes software supports, and
which has both 1/8" stereo mini jack and TOSLINK optical output.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: http://Wireless.wikia.com
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi How To: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_HowTo
Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_Fixes

iTunes USB Stick Edition kliks Electronics Repair 1 November 23rd 06 08:23 AM
DIY DX WiFi? T i m UK diy 31 March 17th 05 06:01 PM
Following on from the "WIFI Extended coverage"....... GymRatZ UK diy 18 February 15th 05 09:07 PM