Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Loadbearing of plasterboard

I want to attach a 17" LCD TV to my bedroom wall which is straw filled
plasterboard about 2 1/2" thick (built in 1992) The TV and bracket have a
combined weight of 6.44KG (14.2 lbs, TV 5.4Kg Bracket 1.04Kg) the bracket
has a backplate measuring
45mm x 150mm, there are three fixing holes, two at the top with 25mm centres
and one at the bottom which is 130mm lower and central. The back TV will
be approx 250mm from the wall.
There are no studs
near where the TV HAS to go. Will this end in disaster with the TV going
South? I could spread the load by mounting a piece of sheet wood on the
wall and screwing the bracket to that but I am trying to avoid that if
possible. Will the PB take it or any other ideas anybody. Because of the
straw inside I don't think butterfly toggles are an option.

TIA

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Not about to comment on your individual case John since a lot depends on the
quality of materials, the precise type of plasterboard anchors you use, how
far the weight is off the wall, how the weight is spread across the bracket,
whether it might get knocked by anyone, how well the board is fixed and/or
might flex etc etc.

What I will say is I have two problems in the last two houses where VERY
heavy items - radiators and kitchen wall units respectively - have been put
up by builders with plasterboard anchors, which have gradually torn through.

In both cases - my fix was to just take suitably sized blocks of timber, cut
out windows in the plaster board, and plug/screw the timber direct to the
masonry wall behind it such that the timber is nearly flush with the
plasterboard surface, then skim over it with plaster or filler. Brackets are
then screwed into a solid load bearing surface.

May be overkill, but then again, nothing I have ever put on a wall has ever
come down again until I've wanted it to.

Midge.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Midge" wrote in message
In both cases - my fix was to just take suitably sized blocks of timber,
cut out windows in the plaster board, and plug/screw the timber direct to
the masonry wall behind it such that the timber is nearly flush with the
plasterboard surface, then skim over it with plaster or filler. Brackets
are then screwed into a solid load bearing surface.

I cannot do that as the other side of the wall is the staircase. The 'wall'
is literally 2 1/2" thick and absolutely no masonary, breeze, etc. is part
of it's make up I have done your solution in the kitchen where the PB is
dotted and dabbed to a breeze block wall

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I cannot do that as the other side of the wall is the staircase. The 'wall'
is literally 2 1/2" thick and absolutely no masonary, breeze, etc. is part
of it's make up I have done your solution in the kitchen where the PB is
dotted and dabbed to a breeze block wall

So what is this plasterboard attached to, and how?

--
Grunff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
John wrote:

I cannot do that as the other side of the wall is the staircase. The
'wall' is literally 2 1/2" thick and absolutely no masonary, breeze, etc.
is part of it's make up I have done your solution in the kitchen where
the PB is dotted and dabbed to a breeze block wall

So what is this plasterboard attached to

I don't know

, and how?

I don't know

All I know is the wall is filled with straw, ala the three little pigs!. We
once had a leak in the en-suite shower and the other side of the wall bulged
like you wouldn't believe. I replaced this section with a 'traditional'
stud wall. I spoke to the builders (Perssimon sp?) and was told that the
bathroom and en-suite walls were 'built of straw' for soundproofing
purposes.

Cheers

Johnff

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I don't know

All I know is the wall is filled with straw, ala the three little pigs!. We
once had a leak in the en-suite shower and the other side of the wall bulged
like you wouldn't believe. I replaced this section with a 'traditional'
stud wall. I spoke to the builders (Perssimon sp?) and was told that the
bathroom and en-suite walls were 'built of straw' for soundproofing
purposes.

Are you absolutely, 100% certain the wall is only 2.5" thick, from one
side to the other?

If you are, and it really is made out of this strange material, then
surely the only option you have is to provide some load bearing support
by way of the floor or the ceiling joists.

There are many ways of doing this. For example, you could take a piece
of timber, 10" wide and maybe 8' tall, and glue it to the wall
(no-nails) with its bottom end resting on the floor. You then attach
your bracket to this wood.

--
Grunff

Loadbearing of plasterboard John UK diy 13 November 30th 06 10:57 PM
Plasterboard norm UK diy 6 January 17th 06 10:24 AM
plasterboard Mike UK diy 1 October 10th 05 02:44 AM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 12 July 31st 05 11:04 PM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 3 July 26th 05 09:40 AM