Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Faulty heating system

Hi,

We've been having some problems with our central heating which was
rectified temporarily with the replacement of the 3 way valve and the
control programmer (Horstmann Tiara). We were told that the boiler
itself (Ideal Mexico II) is OK if getting on a bit.

2 months on and the problem is back - both the hot water and central
heating pick and choose when they want to come on and there doesn't
seem to be a pattern as to which controls I switch on and which
position the valve is in. If I move positions, sometimes it resists,
sometimes not. Additionally, some radiators work better than others -
they were all bled and were working perfectly when the repair was
carried out.

The valve gets extremely hot when the programmer controls are on (we're
not leaving them on excessively) which I suspect has caused it to burn
out as the previous one had. Is it meant to get hot and if not is there
something that can be done about it?

I'm consulting the group as we've had a succession of plumbers in our
house due to this and am losing faith.

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We've been having some problems with our central heating which was
rectified temporarily with the replacement of the 3 way valve and the
control programmer (Horstmann Tiara).

Personally, I think 3 port valves are a PITA. If I came across such a system
causing trouble, I would convert to S-Plan, which is more reliable and MUCH
easier to diagnose problems with. There are issues, however, such as needing
a bypass valve, which might have to be manual for the ancient Mexico if it
doesn't have overheat protection.

Christian.