Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Gouge

Default Faulty Thermostat / Central Heating?

Hi all,

Moved into a new Barratt home about 18 months ago and i believe that the
Central Heating has never worked correctly. Only gotten round to
looking into it now though.

Basically even if the Thermostat is set at, say, 10 degrees, the house
still gets very hot. Ie, i can still here the boiler boiling away even
when a separate thermometer next to the thermostat is reading way above
10 degrees (around 20-22 usually).

When we set the thermostat at around 20-ish, the house doesn't seem to
get warm at all.

The thermostat does 'click' though (very quietly) at around the correct
temperature.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating and is probably costing us
a lot more in gas than it should!

I am going to contact Barratt to come and look at it, but some general
thoughts / advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

David Gouge
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"David Gouge" wrote in message
[...]

Most likely that the wiring to the boiler or within the boiler is incorrect.
Maybe a linking wire has not been removed.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
David Gouge wrote:
Hi all,

Moved into a new Barratt home about 18 months ago and i believe that the
Central Heating has never worked correctly. Only gotten round to
looking into it now though.

Basically even if the Thermostat is set at, say, 10 degrees, the house
still gets very hot. Ie, i can still here the boiler boiling away even
when a separate thermometer next to the thermostat is reading way above
10 degrees (around 20-22 usually).

When we set the thermostat at around 20-ish, the house doesn't seem to
get warm at all.

The thermostat does 'click' though (very quietly) at around the correct
temperature.

Are you saying that:
1. the thermostat works correctly - ie detects the correct temperature, but
2. switches the heating on when the room is above the set temperature and off
when it's below the set temperature?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Gouge

John Cartmell wrote:
In article ,
David Gouge wrote:
[...]

Yes to 1, but i wish it was as consistent as you say in 2. If that was
the case the boiler wouldn't switch off until the end of the program i
imagine.

Generally it just doesn't 'seem' right. At our old house if you set the
thermostat down low, that's what you'd get.

Anyway, cheers for the reply,
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

2. switches the heating on when the room is above the set temperature and
off
when it's below the set temperature?

Sounds like the NO and NC terminals have been reversed on the stat, then!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Gouge

Christian McArdle wrote:
2. switches the heating on when the room is above the set temperature and

off
when it's below the set temperature?

Sounds like the NO and NC terminals have been reversed on the stat, then!

Christian.

So if it *is* that, would that be easy for a n00b like me to fix instead
of going to the hassle of getting Barratts in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So if it *is* that, would that be easy for a n00b like me to fix instead
of going to the hassle of getting Barratts in?

If it does turn out to be that, then anyone competent in wiring electrical
fittings could fix it. I can't possibly comment on your competence from the
information available to me...

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:35:35 +0000, David Gouge wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the thermostat is wired up round the wrong way.
However you better start by listing out all the kit you have and we can
take it from there.