Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heated Towel Rails and Lighting Circuits

Hi all,

is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?, I am aware of loading issues but there are some quite low
wattage rails avilable. Or is this a no no regardless of wattage?

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nigel" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,

is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?, I am aware of loading issues but there are some quite low
wattage rails avilable. Or is this a no no regardless of wattage?

Nigel

Hi Man,
Don't do it.

Mick. Leeds U.K.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Nigel wrote:
is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?, I am aware of loading issues but there are some quite low
wattage rails avilable. Or is this a no no regardless of wattage?

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at
their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at
their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is
RCD protected would it not?

After all, elextricity, water and bathrooms seem to be a very sensitive
subject.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at
their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is
RCD protected would it not?

An RCD is really to protect from touching a live wire etc which shouldn't
be possible in this case as it will be earthed.

After all, elextricity, water and bathrooms seem to be a very sensitive
subject.

The towel rail, of course, should be properly cross bonded if it falls
within that area in the bathroom.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is
RCD protected would it not?

Why? A towel rail would only require RCD protection if installed in Zone
1 (i.e. directly over the bath). In Zone 2 no RCD is required, but the
appliance must meet IPX4. In Zone 3 or beyond there are no special
requirements at all. The control switch/isolator must be in Zone 3 or
beyond, in any case.

Don't forget the supplementary bonding.

(Note for future Google archive readers: this article will be invalid
after 01/06/2008, the expected date by which the 17th Edition of the
wiring regs will be in force.)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

An RCD is really to protect from touching a live wire etc which shouldn't
be possible in this case as it will be earthed.

The towel rail, of course, should be properly cross bonded if it falls
within that area in the bathroom.

Ah forgot about that bit.

On a similar note... when we bought our 1970's house there was (and
still is) an Electric fan heater in the bathroom with 800W, 1200W &
1800W settings, this _was_ wired to the lighting circuit and an original
standard fitment fuse box in the garage.

Not a great combination really.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at
their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is
RCD protected would it not?

An RCD is really to protect from touching a live wire etc which shouldn't
be possible in this case as it will be earthed.

After all, elextricity, water and bathrooms seem to be a very sensitive
subject.

The towel rail, of course, should be properly cross bonded if it falls
within that area in the bathroom.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Put it on it's own ring. like a shower.

Micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
micky savage wrote:
Put it on it's own ring. like a shower.

If your shower is on a ring get a decent electrician in pronto.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

micky savage wrote:
Put it on it's own ring. like a shower.

If your shower is on a ring get a decent electrician in pronto.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into

sound.

Good call Dave
I meant fusing device.

Regards.

Mick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

micky savage wrote:
Put it on it's own ring. like a shower.

If your shower is on a ring get a decent electrician in pronto.

Good call Dave
I meant fusing device.

You're suggesting a heated towel rail should be on its own circuit same as
an electric shower - ie a radial from the CU? Not needed with most towel
rails - they usually take no more than about 150 watts. They aren't room
heaters as such but only intended to dry towels, strangely.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

(Note for future Google archive readers: this article will be invalid
after 01/06/2008, the expected date by which the 17th Edition of the
wiring regs will be in force.)

Do you know what's changing, or is the above just a general disclaimer?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting
circuit?

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at
their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is
RCD protected would it not?

And even better to check whether it has a CPC?!
(Although a later post mentions the 1970s, so presumably it does)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Do you know what's changing, or is the above just a general disclaimer?

You must have missed the recent thread, subject "Seventeenth edition"
and probably still on your server. Otherwise try
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...ad5ad0 f02de6

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
You are a plantpot.

Oh dear. Isn't that copyright?

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-21 14:25:26 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
Owain wrote:
You are a plantpot.

Oh dear. Isn't that copyright?

One is reminded of "flobadob ickle weed"

The plot in that program varied little from episode to episode as well
The only burning question was "Was it Bill or was it Ben?"

I can only think that DIMM is the reincarnation of one of these
terracotta dwellers - it does all fit:

- Repetitive and unintelligible sentences

- A minor mishap every week

- Same plot every week

"and I think the little house knew something about it! Don't You? "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:48:39 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

You're suggesting a heated towel rail should be on its own circuit same as
an electric shower - ie a radial from the CU? Not needed with most towel
rails - they usually take no more than about 150 watts. They aren't room
heaters as such but only intended to dry towels, strangely.

Indeed. Ring mains are designed to power just this sort of general
appliance.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Hansen wrote:
You're suggesting a heated towel rail should be on its own circuit same
as an electric shower - ie a radial from the CU? Not needed with most
towel rails - they usually take no more than about 150 watts. They
aren't room heaters as such but only intended to dry towels, strangely.

Indeed. Ring mains are designed to power just this sort of general
appliance.

Or the lighting circuit if more convenient...

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Or the lighting circuit if more convenient...

Except that on a split-load CU the lighting circuit won't have a RCD.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
Or the lighting circuit if more convenient...

Except that on a split-load CU the lighting circuit won't have a RCD.

Shouldn't matter if the lighting circuit is earthed which of course I'm
assuming.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Shouldn't matter if the lighting circuit is earthed which of course I'm
assuming.

But a faulty earth (which happen fairly often, I suspect) would leave
you very vulnerable.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
Shouldn't matter if the lighting circuit is earthed which of course I'm
assuming.

But a faulty earth (which happen fairly often, I suspect) would leave
you very vulnerable.

As it would on anything not normally RCD fed. Like cookers. Washing
machines. Etc. However, if the rail is in a certain part of the bathroom
it would need supplementary bonding anyway.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:50:56 GMT someone who may be Guy King
wrote this:-

Except that on a split-load CU the lighting circuit won't have a RCD.

Having read the rest of this sub-thread, the question is, "so what?"
An earth fault that develops on its own isn't that common and of it
was installed properly there will be supplementary bonding.

The supplementary point is that not all ring mains have RCDs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Why are towel rails so narrow? [email protected] UK diy 6 June 25th 06 09:57 AM
Bleeding heated towel rail Bob Minchin UK diy 3 April 19th 06 01:50 AM
Heated towel rail valves? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 13th 06 09:23 AM
Towel Rails Jack UK diy 8 February 16th 04 10:59 AM
Heated Towel Rails Con Boylan UK diy 7 October 10th 03 11:54 AM