Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tredair Type Underlay or Wool

Hi all

Finally finishing off a dining room re-furb and have ordered carpet (at
least SWMBO has).
She came back saying that Tredair is no longer available - ISTR that this
was one of the best options in the distant past.
She has been offered a woven wool type, which we had in the back room last
year and aren't all that impressed.
The alternative is what she described as a foamy type conglomerate, still
not as thick as Tredair but somewhat similar, but £10+/sq metre IIRC.

Has anyone come across this conglomerate alternative and know of its
durability, comfort etc? Unfortunately SWMBO didn't get a trade name for
this.
We liked the Tredair because it gave a springy feel and lasted well.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 20/11/2006 08:45 TheScullster wrote:

Has anyone come across this conglomerate alternative and know of its
durability, comfort etc? Unfortunately SWMBO didn't get a trade name for
this.

Cloud 9?

We had this fitted a couple of years ago and are very pleased with it.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Finally finishing off a dining room re-furb and have ordered carpet (at
least SWMBO has).
She came back saying that Tredair is no longer available - ISTR that this
was one of the best options in the distant past.
She has been offered a woven wool type, which we had in the back room last
year and aren't all that impressed.
The alternative is what she described as a foamy type conglomerate, still
not as thick as Tredair but somewhat similar, but £10+/sq metre IIRC.

Has anyone come across this conglomerate alternative and know of its
durability, comfort etc? Unfortunately SWMBO didn't get a trade name for
this.
We liked the Tredair because it gave a springy feel and lasted well.

TIA

Phil

I use a crumb rubber and felt one from http://www.lcw-underlay.com/
Much better than the foam underlays - makes a cheap carpet feel really
expensive. Cheaper buying from the factory than from the carpet shop
too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil
You want interfloor underlay which is 1st class. Much of it is made in
the same factory as makes Hunter wellies and Gates transmission belts
(although now operating as 3 seperate companies). Hope this helps.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Finally finishing off a dining room re-furb and have ordered carpet (at
least SWMBO has).
She came back saying that Tredair is no longer available - ISTR that this
was one of the best options in the distant past.
She has been offered a woven wool type, which we had in the back room last
year and aren't all that impressed.
The alternative is what she described as a foamy type conglomerate, still
not as thick as Tredair but somewhat similar, but £10+/sq metre IIRC.

Has anyone come across this conglomerate alternative and know of its
durability, comfort etc? Unfortunately SWMBO didn't get a trade name for
this.
We liked the Tredair because it gave a springy feel and lasted well.

TIA

Phil

Interesting. I had a carpet supplier say the same thing - can't get
Tredaire any more! Well, surprise surprise, just go to www.tredaire.com!

It was bought out by Interfloor a while back, but still available. As
it happens, the supplier came up with another sponge rubber underlay,
which was thick and dense, and better in my opinion than the old green
Tredaire I always used to use (and my father helped manufacture).
Weight is at least one useful parameter to ascertain the quality of what
you will be getting - the stuff I have just put down in my lounge is
very heavy.

Paul R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:46:23 +0000, F wrote:

Cloud 9?

We had this fitted a couple of years ago and are very pleased with it.

Same here, I've never been impressed by crumb rubber or tredaire stuff
even when new. Once it's been down a while it just falls apart and a 1/4"
thick layer of rubber dust makes for a lot of clearing up when you lift
the carpet for what ever reason.

Now I don't know the stabilty of the polyurethane foam conglomerate stuff
such as Cloud 9 but at least it's sealed between two layers of thin
plastic. It also feels better under foot when new and is available in
several thickness's. You chose the thickness with relation to the use of
the room, thick for the bedroom, thiner for romms taking more traffic or
punishment.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:46:23 +0000, F wrote:

Cloud 9?

We had this fitted a couple of years ago and are very pleased with it.

Same here, I've never been impressed by crumb rubber or tredaire stuff
even when new. Once it's been down a while it just falls apart and a 1/4"
thick layer of rubber dust makes for a lot of clearing up when you lift
the carpet for what ever reason.

Now I don't know the stabilty of the polyurethane foam conglomerate stuff
such as Cloud 9 but at least it's sealed between two layers of thin
plastic. It also feels better under foot when new and is available in
several thickness's. You chose the thickness with relation to the use of
the room, thick for the bedroom, thiner for romms taking more traffic or
punishment.

I have just replaced some Duralay crumb rubber underlay on my stairs, its
been there for probably 10 years and showed very little wear except for a
moderate amount of the bullnose of the treads. Certainly, its mechanical
properties were still good, so I'd not dismiss Duralay crumb rubber as an
inexpensive, hardwearing crumb rubber underlay. I only replaced it as the
fitter who laid it had used scrappy offcuts that offended my sense of
perfection!

Andy.

Stain on wool rug alligracie Home Repair 2 April 18th 06 07:08 PM
insulation - rock wool? any asbestos? spoon2001 Home Repair 13 March 15th 06 08:31 AM
insulation - rock wool? any asbestos? spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 13th 06 08:37 PM
Steel wool Frank Erskine UK diy 23 January 25th 06 06:24 PM
steel wool # = sandpaper grit? Dan Major Woodworking 4 August 7th 05 04:25 PM