Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

Default Steel wool

Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Frank Erskine wrote:
Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

What does you're wife think of pillow talk? :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

It is spun out of old Whippet food cans by women in Yorkshire g

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:51:50 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

how is steel wool actually manufactured?

Electric Sheep.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Frank Erskine wrote:
Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

One for the search engines.

Let us know what you find out, YLB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
patsy

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

It's metal filings, welded together end to end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured?

You don't want to know - it's just _funnier_ making it up.

AFAIK it's like wire drawing. You pull a bar of steel through a set of
teeth that scrape fine swarf off it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:51:50 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

how is steel wool actually manufactured?

Electric Sheep.

Otherwise known as Blade Runner?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

It is hard-drawn wire, taken down to a very fine size.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:04:14 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

Electric Sheep.

Otherwise known as Blade Runner?

Did I dream that?

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote:

Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured?

You don't want to know - it's just _funnier_ making it up.

What you NEED to do start athread called "Steam powered cars using steel
wool as a back up fuel" and not only will you get an answer but you'll also
find ou how to spin your own!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Frank Erskine wrote:
Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of
me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be
just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

A thin ribbon of steel is drawn past an array of blades, each of which
removes a sliver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've just run a micrometer over an entire pack of it and found that
some pieces are about 10% out of gauge. Can I get a refund on this out
of tolerance product or should I just file it down with a Dreadnought.

Lord Elpus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Grumpy owd man" wrote in message
news:9b0310a5a800076bafaad6a46ac1d5d3.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org...
It is spun out of old Whippet food cans by women in Yorkshire g

Nah tha's givin all awa!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Cartmell
saying something like:

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:04:14 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

Electric Sheep.

Otherwise known as Blade Runner?

Did I dream that?

Only if you're an android. ;-)

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Combis on fire off the
shoulder of Drivel. I watched Hacksaws glitter in the dark near the
Hepworth gate. All those moments will be lost in time like pointless
arguments in usenet... Time to build an extension."
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:04:14 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

Electric Sheep.

Otherwise known as Blade Runner?

Did I dream that?

Only if you're an android. ;-)

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Combis on fire off the
shoulder of Drivel. I watched Hacksaws glitter in the dark near the
Hepworth gate. All those moments will be lost in time like pointless
arguments in usenet... Time to build an extension."

How long has drivel been posting anyway?
He's got to be getting near his 4 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

How long has drivel been posting anyway?
He's got to be getting near his 4 years.

Is there a time limit?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 22 Jan 2006 18:47:53 GMT Ian Stirling wrote :
How long has drivel been posting anyway?
He's got to be getting near his 4 years.

From my messagebase he's been around for at least six years, Adam, then
IMM, now Drivel.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:40:53 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

How long has drivel been posting anyway? He's got to be getting near his
4 years.

Is there a time limit?

Have you not seen "Blade Runner"? The other messages were para-phrases
from it. The replicants in the movie have a built in four year life
span.

Ah - sorry, I hadn't realised. I was forced to sit in front of it when we
visited a son in Germany. I found it so repulsive I couldn't take it in.

Yes, I know it was a cult film and that I should watch it to be streetwise
but there are limits to what my conventional mind can take ...

If I had known I would have been amused at the idea of IMM having a shelf
life. Except that someone once accused me of being his replica!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Combis on fire off the
shoulder of Drivel. I watched Hacksaws glitter in the dark near the
Hepworth gate. All those moments will be lost in time like pointless
arguments in usenet... Time to build an extension."

How long has drivel been posting anyway?
He's got to be getting near his 4 years.

What makes you thnk he's a Nexus 6? I'd guess he's more like a
pre-production Nexus 1.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Have you not seen "Blade Runner"? The other messages were para-phrases
from it. The replicants in the movie have a built in four year life
span.

Ah - sorry, I hadn't realised. I was forced to sit in front of it when we
visited a son in Germany. I found it so repulsive I couldn't take it in.

Ditto. I was relying on knowledge of the book. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:42 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

I was relying on knowledge of the book. ;-)

Which I think is where we started:

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:51:50 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:
how is steel wool actually manufactured?

Electric Sheep.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Combis on fire off the
shoulder of Drivel. I watched Hacksaws glitter in the dark near the
Hepworth gate. All those moments will be lost in time like pointless
arguments in usenet... Time to build an extension."

How long has drivel been posting anyway?
He's got to be getting near his 4 years.

What makes you thnk he's a Nexus 6? I'd guess he's more like a
pre-production Nexus 1.

And there was me thinking he was an escaped clone of Prescott, gone wrong.