Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheapie power planer - recommendations please ??

Hi
I need a mains-powered planer to take about 3 - 4 mm off the long edge
of a solid (softwood) interior door.

Door used to fit fine - but then I installed parliament hinges (the
sort that fold back through 180 degrees) - and the result is that the
latch side of the door now binds due to the pivot point of the hinges
now being about 1.5" 'behind' the door.

I can't see myself needing the planer very often - so am reluctant to
spend much more than 50 UK pounds.

Have tried hiring - but the hire shops say that they've stopped hiring
power planers as they used to come back wrecked - someting to do with
planing embedded nails !

Any suggestions of brands to look out for - or even avoid ??!
Or even other ways of achieving the required result....?

Be even better if the thing was available from a supplier over here in
the Republic of Ireland.... gosh - I'm missing Screwfix ! g

Thanks

Adrian
West Cork, Ireland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian
I have a Draper planer that I am getting rid of, since I now have a
Makita planer, along with a Robland Planer/Thicknesser. If you wanted
it then you could have it for £20 +postage. Its not been used much and
will do the job you want it for. Your other option is to use a circular
saw and clamp a guide to the door to get your straight line. If I was
now to buy a cheap planer I would go for either Draper, JCB, or
Axminster EHP82.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Calum

Thanks - you have email !

Adrian

On 19 Nov 2006 05:58:40 -0800, "
wrote:

Adrian
I have a Draper planer that I am getting rid of, since I now have a
Makita planer, along with a Robland Planer/Thicknesser. If you wanted
it then you could have it for £20 +postage. Its not been used much and
will do the job you want it for. Your other option is to use a circular
saw and clamp a guide to the door to get your straight line. If I was
now to buy a cheap planer I would go for either Draper, JCB, or
Axminster EHP82.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian
My email address is
Look forward to hearing from you if still interested.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Calum

Have emailed you directly - yes - I'm very interested !

Regards
Adrian

On 19 Nov 2006 10:48:03 -0800, "
wrote:

Adrian
My email address is
Look forward to hearing from you if still interested.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Aldi are selling them for £15 with 3 yr guarantee. Aldi are in Co Cork and
usually have the same deals as the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Hi
I need a mains-powered planer to take about 3 - 4 mm off the long edge
of a solid (softwood) interior door.

Door used to fit fine - but then I installed parliament hinges (the
sort that fold back through 180 degrees) - and the result is that the
latch side of the door now binds due to the pivot point of the hinges
now being about 1.5" 'behind' the door.

I can't see myself needing the planer very often - so am reluctant to
spend much more than 50 UK pounds.

I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30 minutes
at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you need a power
planer?

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30 minutes
at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you need a power
planer?

Strange thing is there's not much difference in price between a decent
plane and a middling power one.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30 minutes
at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you need a power
planer?

Strange thing is there's not much difference in price between a decent
plane and a middling power one.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yeah hand-plane. Or if you must have power then a circular saw with a
long piece of MFC as a guide (or google "sawboard"). Hand power planers
are not as useful as they look.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
normanwisdom wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30
minutes at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you
need a power planer?

Strange thing is there's not much difference in price between a decent
plane and a middling power one.

Yeah hand-plane. Or if you must have power then a circular saw with a
long piece of MFC as a guide (or google "sawboard"). Hand power planers
are not as useful as they look.

I'd not be without mine. Or hand planes come to that. Power planers need
skill to set up and use though - perhaps more so than many others.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:13:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article .com,
normanwisdom wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30
minutes at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you
need a power planer?

Strange thing is there's not much difference in price between a decent
plane and a middling power one.

Yeah hand-plane. Or if you must have power then a circular saw with a
long piece of MFC as a guide (or google "sawboard"). Hand power planers
are not as useful as they look.

I'd not be without mine. Or hand planes come to that. Power planers need
skill to set up and use though - perhaps more so than many others.

Oh c'mon - you can't leave it like that ! g

Any hints or tips ??

ISTR that the one our builder chappie had was simply set up with a
'depth' dial at the front, also some kind of a fence for rebating.

What other subtleties do I need to be aware of ?

I know it sounds kind of 'Irish' - but I was considering planing off
the material at the hinge side of the door - on the grounds that the
new parliament hinges require a different 'rebate' to the originals,
and that any slight innacuracies in the planing will be less
noticeable if they're on the hinge-side of the door. Also saves
messing with the lock mechanism.

Any reason I've overlooked why this isn't a Good Plan ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Another Dave

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:07:41 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Hi
I need a mains-powered planer to take about 3 - 4 mm off the long edge
of a solid (softwood) interior door.

Door used to fit fine - but then I installed parliament hinges (the
sort that fold back through 180 degrees) - and the result is that the
latch side of the door now binds due to the pivot point of the hinges
now being about 1.5" 'behind' the door.

I can't see myself needing the planer very often - so am reluctant to
spend much more than 50 UK pounds.

I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30 minutes
at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you need a power
planer?

Another Dave

You're right - perhaps 'need' was a bit OTT g

If I said, " I'd be more confident that I could do the job & end up
with a decent square finish using a power planer" than that's probably
nearer the truth g

If it was only a gnats that required removing then I'd be using my
little metal-soled Stanley plane - bought about 25 years ago and
probably not used more than half a dozen times since....

The biulder chappie who sorted some things for us in the last house
used a power-plane to fit the new doors, and I remember thinking then
'what a useful gadget' - but haven't needed one in the intervening 5
years - hence the reluctance to shell out large amounts of cash...

Did think of using the router, against a clamped-on guide, but the
deepest router bit I have isn't wide enough to do the job in one
pass... and a circular saw is a possibility, but the (cheap !) one I
have has a very coarse blade and would probably require planing again
to finish off.....

Thanks for the comments, anyway - sounds as if Callum may be able to
help me out.... g

Regards
Adrian
in wild, wet and windy West Cork