Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen unit kickplates , waterproof.

While staying in a holiday cottage I noticed that all the kitchen base
unit kickplates had a plastic moulding over the edge of the chipboard
next to the floor.

After having twice suffered sodden bulging chipboard from leaky
appliances I thought this was a good idea but since been unable to
find any.

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kickplates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kickplates would suffice.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ozzie wrote:
While staying in a holiday cottage I noticed that all the kitchen base
unit kickplates had a plastic moulding over the edge of the chipboard
next to the floor.

After having twice suffered sodden bulging chipboard from leaky
appliances I thought this was a good idea but since been unable to
find any.

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kickplates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kickplates would suffice.

Chris

I got the strips with the "kickplates" from MFI with the kitchen, they
might do em seperate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ozzie" wrote in message
While staying in a holiday cottage I noticed that all the kitchen base
unit kickplates had a plastic moulding over the edge of the chipboard
next to the floor.

After having twice suffered sodden bulging chipboard from leaky
appliances I thought this was a good idea but since been unable to
find any.

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kickplates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kickplates would suffice.

Chris

If you try a local uPVC window supplier you'll find all sorts of moldings
and flat boards in various woodgrains which you could use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ozzie" wrote in message

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kickplates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kickplates would suffice.

When I semi redid the kitchen I thought along the same lines.
I ripped the old ones out and replaced them with solid softwood and painted.
Whilst I was at it I screwed battons to the floor behind to support the
'kick' they're now designed to get.
Much more satisfactory. Bloody chip, chuck it out where you can.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ozzie wrote:
While staying in a holiday cottage I noticed that all the kitchen base
unit kick plates had a plastic moulding over the edge of the chipboard
next to the floor.

After having twice suffered sodden bulging chipboard from leaky
appliances I thought this was a good idea but since been unable to
find any.

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kick plates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kick plates would suffice.

Just unclip the ones you have and smear their edges with silicon or
paint them. Plastic moulding or any edging strip is unlikely to help if
water gets on them and stays there for long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
While staying in a holiday cottage I noticed that all the kitchen base
unit kick plates had a plastic moulding over the edge of the chipboard
next to the floor.

After having twice suffered sodden bulging chipboard from leaky
appliances I thought this was a good idea but since been unable to
find any.

Anyone know where I can purchase same or even complete
waterproof ( plastic ? ) kick plates ? Ours is a sort of chestnut
wood effect but plain brown kick plates would suffice.

Just unclip the ones you have and smear their edges with silicon or
paint them. Plastic moulding or any edging strip is unlikely to help if
water gets on them and stays there for long.

No I've used the ones which the OP refers to - as somebody else has
pointed out, MFI/Howden's stock them, and they are very good. They are
purpose-made in transparent plastic, hold the chipboard about 1/8" off
the ground and also protect the leading lower edge.

David

Making a 300mm larder unit for kitchen - where to get the baskets? Murmansk69 UK diy 5 September 7th 06 10:02 AM
New Kitchen Supply TheScullster UK diy 3 May 26th 06 09:22 AM
Looking for decent qulity Kitchen unit with American Black Walnut finsih - Are they all the same? swinster UK diy 1 April 14th 06 07:59 AM
Fitting kitchen corner unit mjbarnard UK diy 2 December 1st 05 11:38 PM
Kitchen Unit Halogen Lights Problem Steve UK diy 3 May 19th 05 06:41 PM