Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water Meter Fitting

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Ed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Nov 2006 04:24:13 -0800, "Ed_Zep" wrote:

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Ed.

Yes and it was all done in the pavement outside. Saves me ( only 2 of us in the
house though ) about £125 /annun.

It all depends on your existing rateable value and predicted consumption.

It also makes you more aware of water use, which I guess is a good thing in
these greener times !

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om on Sat,
18 Nov 2006, Ed_Zep wrote
Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

Yes and yes; they didn't want to fit it at the external stop tap (buried
deep in garden amongst roots) and couldn't find the main where it
entered house so ended up fitting it inside alongside mains tap and
behind various fittings. This is where I wanted it in first place.

Will save us (high 'rateable value') about £600 per annum - well worth
it.
I've installed two 1000 litre tanks to store roof water for garden use
and only used about a third of the first year's savings.

--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars twice
a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest rated band
of water rates. I switched over pronto.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars
twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest
rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it
was rare to save switching over.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:06:59 GMT someone who may be "visionset"
wrote this:-

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars
twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest
rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it
was rare to save switching over.

It is large families and those with particular medical problems that
will tend to use more water than average. Other households will
generally use less, particularly those living on their own.

Whether using less water than average means a reduction in the
number of pounds depends on the prices set for each system of
payment. There does seem to be some question of how much water meter
rates are in parts of the UK.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars
twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest
rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it
was rare to save switching over.

--
Mike W

I've been voluntarily using a water meter for over 20 years in my current
house. A bill came yesterday for £63.80 for the last 6 months to cover both
water supply, sewage treatment and highway drainage. I do not have to pay
for surface water drainage as we have soakaways for all gutters.
The household comprises 3 adults using a mix of baths and showers but no car
washing.

I've lost track of the relevant water charge based on rateable value would
be today but the metered charge dropped to 40% of the RV charge when we
switched over.We must have saved a few £k by now.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars
twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest
rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it
was rare to save switching over.

It is large families and those with particular medical problems that
will tend to use more water than average. Other households will
generally use less, particularly those living on their own.

Profound!

Whether using less water than average means a reduction in the
number of pounds depends on the prices set for each system of
payment.

There does seem to be some question of how much water meter
rates are in parts of the UK.

Yes, that was my concern.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

My bills have always gone down by 60-70%
and that's before I factor in the periods when I work
away and the property is empty.

(But I do choose to live in flats and have no garden to
water. The rateable value method of calculating water
bills takes no account of this).

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

"visionset" wrote in message

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

You think you need to be very wary of this. In my area ( SWW) even the water
company admitted to me that a water meter would quadruple my water bills! I
would consider my water consumption fairly average or even a bit below.

I also have land drains for roof and most importantly I have no mains drains
but SWW told me they would have to make a charge for sewerage disposal as
part of the meter charge. They had no way of separating it. Even if they
did, they admitted my water rates would treble.

I currently pay £100 a year for water. Average water rate in my area is
£400+ with a meter.

I do not have a meter. I pity the poor sods who buy houses and are now
forced to have them installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" notpastityet?" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

"visionset" wrote in message

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on
the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

You think you need to be very wary of this. In my area ( SWW) even the
water
company admitted to me that a water meter would quadruple my water bills!
would consider my water consumption fairly average or even a bit below.

I also have land drains for roof and most importantly I have no mains
drains
but SWW told me they would have to make a charge for sewerage disposal as
part of the meter charge. They had no way of separating it.

I understood that there were legally obliged to do so.

Even if they
did, they admitted my water rates would treble.

This makes no sense. In SWW the sewage disposal
costs are twice the water charge.

I currently pay £100 a year for water.

So that means you have a rateable value of 24 pounds.

I suspect this puts you in 0.01% of the population.

Average water rate in my area is
£400+ with a meter.

As is the ratable charge for a property with a rateable
value of more than 70. This is still a low RV by national
standards.

I do not have a meter. I pity the poor sods who buy houses and are now
forced to have them installed.

even in the SWW area the metered charge for a 'normal' RV
is still less than the rateable charge for normal usage.
SWW is very expensive. Your bill is abnormally cheap.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:23:03 GMT, wrote:

|On 18 Nov 2006 04:24:13 -0800, "Ed_Zep" wrote:
|
|I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
|29th.
|
|Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?
|
|TIA.
|
|Ed.
|

|I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to
|wait too long for the water to become hot.
|
|I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as
|a direct result of using combi-boilers.

I have chosen a Baxi Instant which advertises 7 liters of instant hot
water, hope it works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in message

" notpastityet?" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

I do not have a meter. I pity the poor sods who buy houses and are now
forced to have them installed.

even in the SWW area the metered charge for a 'normal' RV
is still less than the rateable charge for normal usage.
SWW is very expensive. Your bill is abnormally cheap.

I believe that SWW do have the dubious honour of being the most expensive
company in the country for water supply.

My bills abnormally low though? I dont know to be honest. Its no lower than
anyone else with a similar property on a septic tank system in my area

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to
wait too long for the water to become hot.

I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as
a direct result of using combi-boilers.

With my new combi I haven't noticed any difference in the run off required
compared with the old cylinder. Seems to me that dead leg aside they are
equivalent. Other combis may of course differ. Vaillant 837 EcotecPlus. If
you're having a bath you need some cold in there anyway. Unless you are
scale-scared and have set the water temp as low as possible like me :-(

--
Mike W

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Brook" wrote in message
In message om on Sat,
18 Nov 2006, Ed_Zep wrote
Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

Yes and yes; they didn't want to fit it at the external stop tap (buried
deep in garden amongst roots) and couldn't find the main where it
entered house so ended up fitting it inside alongside mains tap and
behind various fittings. This is where I wanted it in first place.

Will save us (high 'rateable value') about £600 per annum - well worth
it.
I've installed two 1000 litre tanks to store roof water for garden use
and only used about a third of the first year's savings.

Savings by having a meter installed are - for us - considerable but we had
to lie about number of occupants to get Three Valleys Water to install one.

I am not convinced - as yet - about water storage for garden use IIRC 2000lt
or 2 cu meter of water costs about 2.80GBP not sure worth the hassle of
installing 2 IBC's.

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:06:59 +0000, visionset wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars
twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest
rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it
was rare to save switching over.

It's worth it for most people except those who use a hose for the garden
(when permitted).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:02:25 +0000, visionset wrote:

wrote in message

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to
wait too long for the water to become hot.

I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as
a direct result of using combi-boilers.

With my new combi I haven't noticed any difference in the run off required
compared with the old cylinder. Seems to me that dead leg aside they are
equivalent. Other combis may of course differ. Vaillant 837 EcotecPlus. If
you're having a bath you need some cold in there anyway. Unless you are
scale-scared and have set the water temp as low as possible like me :-(

No need really, the DHW heat exchangers are easy to descale. The tap
temperature control is a maxiumum temp control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

With my new combi I haven't noticed any difference in the run off
required
compared with the old cylinder. Seems to me that dead leg aside they are
equivalent. Other combis may of course differ. Vaillant 837 EcotecPlus.
If
you're having a bath you need some cold in there anyway. Unless you are
scale-scared and have set the water temp as low as possible like me :-(

No need really, the DHW heat exchangers are easy to descale. The tap
temperature control is a maxiumum temp control.

Ah, right, I'll whack it up a bit - cue up a 'how do you descale the DHW
heat exchanger?' in about 12 months then ;-)

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Ed.

Yorkshire water did ours, it took about ten minutes.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Why?????????
Chances are your bills may now double++

Ours went down by a lot.

And it if encourages people to be aware of their water use and not waste it
that will be a good thing.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PhilC" wrote in message

I am not convinced - as yet - about water storage for garden use IIRC
2000lt
or 2 cu meter of water costs about 2.80GBP not sure worth the hassle of
installing 2 IBC's.

It is well worth it for us. We have six butts round the garden, collecting
water from the house roof, shed roof and greenhouse roof. One has a
perforated hose which is in the greenhouse borders, meaning that I never
have to water them. The others are next to the veg plots so there's no
standing with a hose or unrolling it and putting it away.

There's nothing like laziness carried out well.

Mary

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to
wait too long for the water to become hot.

I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as
a direct result of using combi-boilers.

Thankfully, it's a conventional boiler. I've heard a lot of mixed views
re combi-boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 18/11/2006 12:24 visionset wrote:

Chances are your bills may now double++

I fitted our meter 12½ years ago and we've saved ~46% each year since
then. This works out at ~£3400 over the period. Most of the time there
were 4 of us in the household.

The only way I can see bills going up is if you live in a dwelling that
had a very low rateable value on which the water rates were based.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed_Zep wrote:

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Ed.

Thanks for all the replies. It was due to be installed today.

First problem was that due to the age of the house the external
stopcock turned off next door's water and the guy from Severn Trent
said that I wouldn't be able to have an internal meter. I said "if it's
going to be too much hassle..."
Severn Trent have a bizarre rule that says only the person who asked
for the meter installed can ask to go back to unmetered water and that
has to be in 12 months. After that I'm stuck with it, as would be the
new occupants when I come to sell. If that's a family, the bills would
almost certainly go up. Then he mentioned how people at the Severn
Trent call centre don't have them fitted!

The compromise is "assessed consumption" charge so I might get some
sort of reduction.

Ed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for all the replies. It was due to be installed today.

First problem was that due to the age of the house the external
stopcock turned off next door's water and the guy from Severn Trent
said that I wouldn't be able to have an internal meter. I said "if it's
going to be too much hassle..."
Severn Trent have a bizarre rule that says only the person who asked
for the meter installed can ask to go back to unmetered water and that
has to be in 12 months. After that I'm stuck with it, as would be the
new occupants when I come to sell. If that's a family, the bills would
almost certainly go up.

Only if they waste water.

Then he mentioned how people at the Severn
Trent call centre don't have them fitted!

They're probably in Bombay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed_Zep" wrote in message
oups.com...

Then he mentioned how people at the Severn
Trent call centre don't have them fitted!

They're probably in Bombay.

Cynic!

I wanted to say it before anyone else did, it's not like me normally :-)

It was too good an opportunity to miss ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 6:24 pm, "PhilC" wrote:
I've installed two 1000 litre tanks to store roof water for garden use
and only used about a third of the first year's savings.Savings by having a meter installed are - for us - considerable but we had

to lie about number of occupants to get Three Valleys Water to install one.

I am not convinced - as yet - about water storage for garden use IIRC 2000lt
or 2 cu meter of water costs about 2.80GBP not sure worth the hassle of
installing 2 IBC's.

But when it's empty the rain fills it again and that's another
£2.80...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 12:24 pm, "visionset" wrote:
"Ed_Zep" wrote in glegroups.com...

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the
29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

To save money?

Chances are your bills may now double++

That's the water company scare tactics because they know they have to
fit the meter for free and they will lose revenue as a result.

MBQ