Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix GRP garage doors - why the price difference?

Hello -

I need to replace a rusty steel garage door, and I'm looking at one of the
brown GRP doors on at
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=102018
My question is, why do some doors that only apparently differ only slightly
in appearance, have such a price difference, eg:
New Cheviot 7' x 6' 6" Dark Mahogany Canopy for 349 pounds
New Lancashire 7' x 6' 6" Dark Oak Canopy for 519 pounds
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper one if the appearance is
suitable?
If I buy one, my shopping list would be:
- Garage door
- Pre-cut wooden frame (to save time)
- Extra assorted masonry fixings
- Plasters and antiseptic cream
Is there anything else I should buy in before starting this job?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-17 18:50:43 +0000, "Simon" said:

Hello -

I need to replace a rusty steel garage door, and I'm looking at one of the
brown GRP doors on at
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=102018
My question is, why do some doors that only apparently differ only slightly
in appearance, have such a price difference, eg:
New Cheviot 7' x 6' 6" Dark Mahogany Canopy for 349 pounds
New Lancashire 7' x 6' 6" Dark Oak Canopy for 519 pounds
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper one if the appearance is
suitable?

They all seem to be mechanically the same as far as the spec is
concerned, and it would be surprising if the mechanisms were different.
Generally differences in mechanics and build quality affect the price
between manufacturers but it doesn't seem likely here.

One could also think of the difference in complexity of design but
these doors are presumably moulded and in volume .

If I buy one, my shopping list would be:
- Garage door
- Pre-cut wooden frame (to save time)
- Extra assorted masonry fixings
- Plasters and antiseptic cream
Is there anything else I should buy in before starting this job?

- An additional person to help you do the job

- Some tarpaulins etc. on which to lay the door to avoid damage.

Although GRP doors are generally not that heavy, any large door can
wave around,so fitting really is best done with two people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:

Hello -

I need to replace a rusty steel garage door,

snip

If I buy one, my shopping list would be:
- Garage door
- Pre-cut wooden frame (to save time)
- Extra assorted masonry fixings
- Plasters and antiseptic cream
Is there anything else I should buy in before starting this job?

When you start the job, have the following already in the garage:

- a very bright light to work by

- a good torch for standby

- a flask of tea or coffee

- a good packed lunch

- a container for waste liquids.

HTH

--

Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Lee Speke-King wrote:

When you start the job, have the following already in the garage:

- a very bright light to work by

- a good torch for standby

- a flask of tea or coffee

- a good packed lunch

- a container for waste liquids.

- Your mobile.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:

Hello -

I need to replace a rusty steel garage door, and I'm looking at one of the
brown GRP doors on at
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=102018
My question is, why do some doors that only apparently differ only slightly
in appearance, have such a price difference, eg:
New Cheviot 7' x 6' 6" Dark Mahogany Canopy for 349 pounds
New Lancashire 7' x 6' 6" Dark Oak Canopy for 519 pounds
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper one if the appearance is
suitable?

I have looked at these my self and believe they are wessex doors made
to a price. I sourced some of there doors from a large wholesale
company and they came on Hormann runing gear. Also consider fully
retarctable as well as these can be motorized without the addition of a
canopy arm which can add circa £50. Garage doors vary hugely on price
but you should be able to source a reasonable quality one for £5/600
Pounds. Any less and you are compromising on quality.
Legin