Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beam calculations for a Balcony

Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direciton. I am going to
have a large balcony built (4m along side of house x 3m sticking out)
with 2 brick pillars holding up the outer 2 corners and a beam and
block floor. I am trying to size the beam that will sit across the 2
brick pillars to support one side of the balcony floor (the other side
supported by the existing house wall).

This should be a basic calculation, but I am struggling to find any
websites / books / downloadable tables where I can input my criteria
and get a beam size out. Also, I need to find out what allowances would
need to be made for things such as snow loading for example (not that
we get much snow in Lincolnshire!). Any good reference books or sites
would be much appreciated. I hope to do the works under a building
notice but obviously will still have to supply my calcs to the building
regs officer. Many thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Country Girl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Not sure if this lot will help

http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calc...A_5_Const.html

But there are loads of calculators there, I assume one of them will suit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that Robbo, will check the site out!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't forget to check with the planners and building control before you
spend any money.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will do Peter. I just want to get a handle on the beam calcs first so
I can discuss with the planners and building control officers what the
best way forward is.