Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default small fluorescent

AJH wrote:

I've salvaged the thin fluorescent tube from the scanner section of a
Cannon scanner/printer/copier. As the power supply had a number of
unmarked voltages I guessed at 12V for the tube electronics but it
only lights up 3/4 of the length, should I risk a higher voltage?

I wanted to see if I could use it as a low power light for a hallway
after lights out.

AJH

Why not hook it up to 14v and see if it lights a bit further along.

I would not touch the tube while on, these are typically run off high
voltage high frequency and use external foil electrodes. Very long life
but fingers off.

Alternatively get a 3w cfl.

NT

small fluorescent Ian Stirling UK diy 2 November 16th 06 11:05 PM
small fluorescent Andrew Gabriel UK diy 1 November 16th 06 10:48 PM
Fluorescent Bulb Usage Randy Home Repair 12 January 16th 06 07:11 PM
Motion Detector + Fluorescent Lights won't play nicely... Derrick Regalia Home Ownership 7 March 11th 05 03:23 PM
How to 'contemporize' small bowls and boxes? Arch Woodturning 12 March 11th 04 08:26 PM