Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bottle trap for shower?

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Barnsey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

In short, no. Not unless you have very easy access to it. When it gets
blocked (as it will) you have no way of clearing a bottle trap. Get a proper
shower trap (like a shallow clearable bottle trap).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2006 10:32:59 -0800 someone who may be "Barnsey"
wrote this:-

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap

Why?

Will a Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

Possibly. Depends how much hair gets gummed up in it.

S shaped bottle trap? Interesting.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-14 18:32:59 +0000, "Barnsey" said:

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

Have a look at Hepworth HepVO traps. These will fit into tight
mechanical situations and without the maintenance headaches from bottle
traps. A shower is an ideal place for one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TonyK wrote:
"Barnsey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

In short, no. Not unless you have very easy access to it. When it gets
blocked (as it will) you have no way of clearing a bottle trap. Get a proper
shower trap (like a shallow clearable bottle trap).

Yes I can't see why a conventional bottle trap would be so much better
(if at all) than an S-trap.

Just to follow up TonyK's reccomendation (with which I agree
wholeheartedly) the point about a shower trap is that the grille in the
drain hole can be readily removed and the whole trap cleaned out FROM ABOVE.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

TonyK wrote:
"Barnsey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

In short, no. Not unless you have very easy access to it. When it gets
blocked (as it will) you have no way of clearing a bottle trap. Get a proper
shower trap (like a shallow clearable bottle trap).

Yes I can't see why a conventional bottle trap would be so much better
(if at all) than an S-trap.

Just to follow up TonyK's reccomendation (with which I agree
wholeheartedly) the point about a shower trap is that the grille in the
drain hole can be readily removed and the whole trap cleaned out FROM ABOVE.

David

Like the current S trap, the new tray is raised sufficiently to allow
access to unscrewing the bottem of the Bottle trap if necessary.
Therefore, if the Bottle trap doesn't have any inherent performance
problems in being used under a shower as apposed to an S trap i think
i'll us it. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2006 10:32:59 -0800, Barnsey wrote:

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

It will work, but the better solution is to use a proper shower trap that
can be dismantled and cleaned from above.

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/sp_showitem/1963

You can find them cheaper than this if you look around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On 14 Nov 2006 10:32:59 -0800, Barnsey wrote:

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the
tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle
trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a
Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

It will work, but the better solution is to use a proper shower trap that
can be dismantled and cleaned from above.

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/sp_showitem/1963

You can find them cheaper than this if you look around.

How high would the shower have to be to allow you to unscrew a bottle trap?
Clearing from above is the only sensible solution. A bent coat hanger
works pretty well. Hair seems to form itself into a plat, which usually
comes out in one go.