Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil tank indicator question (a different one)

I have a big green outside oil tank.

There is a tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in which is
supposed to show the amount of oil left in the tank. Near the bottom
(but not right at the bottom) of the small tube is a button you pull to
sync the tube with the tank.

At the very end of the tube, past the sync button, looks like a small
plastic container with a kind of empty/full indicator gauge on it, with
various markings on it to indicate how much oil is left in that little
container. (perhaps)

My question - can I allow the oil to fall right the way down the tube
and actually go past the sync button, and hope that it keeps falling so
that eventually the plastic container at the very bottom of the tube
runs dry - and is it at that point that I need to fill up the tank?
(Strapped for cash atm, and want to avoid getting oil as late as poss.)

Thanks, regards, dnw.

Cylindrical Water Heater Construction Questions Robert11 Home Repair 5 November 18th 05 10:37 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
LP tank valve removal UPDATE Serial # 19781010 Metalworking 99 December 5th 03 03:14 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM