Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting stair runner round corners

I want to fit a narrow runner to a eight tread staircase that turns 180
degrees top to bottom (in an old house, beside the chimney). Is there a
trick to how one deals with the "surplus" carpet which arises from
making a straight carpet runner go "round the bend" of the stairs?
Ideally, I would like to use stair rods either with or without
additional fixing. Any hints and tips would be very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I want to fit a narrow runner to a eight tread staircase that turns 180
degrees top to bottom (in an old house, beside the chimney). Is there a
trick to how one deals with the "surplus" carpet which arises from
making a straight carpet runner go "round the bend" of the stairs?
Ideally, I would like to use stair rods either with or without
additional fixing. Any hints and tips would be very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Well, if the winders are gradual, you can hide the extra carpet in a
fold that is on the riser.
But if too much to do this, I guess you have to cut some bits out.
Unless you cut some slots in the risers and post the excess through !
The excess has to go somewhere.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Andrew wrote:

I want to fit a narrow runner to a eight tread staircase that turns 180
degrees top to bottom (in an old house, beside the chimney). Is there a
trick to how one deals with the "surplus" carpet which arises from
making a straight carpet runner go "round the bend" of the stairs?
Ideally, I would like to use stair rods either with or without
additional fixing. Any hints and tips would be very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Well, if the winders are gradual, you can hide the extra carpet in a
fold that is on the riser.
But if too much to do this, I guess you have to cut some bits out.
Unless you cut some slots in the risers and post the excess through !
The excess has to go somewhere.
Simon.

As the previous poster says. If you have to cut the carpet, use gripper
strips to hold the cut carpet in position, I have carpeted my stairs in
sections, and stuffed the carpet in between a pair of gripper strips, on at
the back of each tread, the other at the bottom of each riser. Get the
spacing of the grippers and the direct the grip tacks correct and it'll stay
in position nicely.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for the responses.

Andrew

Stair Carpet - Costs, Fitting, FAQ ? . UK diy 2 July 5th 06 06:21 PM
Runners and stair rods ... Martin Pentreath UK diy 3 November 23rd 04 08:36 PM
finding stair runner Steve UK diy 2 June 28th 04 07:12 PM
Footings crossing boundary Rockydell UK diy 28 February 24th 04 07:19 AM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM