Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Posting a photo

I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidW wrote:
I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Try using this and posting the link:

http://tinypic.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Try using this and posting the link:

http://tinypic.com/

So you don't need to email the photo to the group email address??

I have a photo store/share facility on Yahoo, Maybe I can use that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidW wrote:
mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Try using this and posting the link:

http://tinypic.com/

So you don't need to email the photo to the group email address??

I have a photo store/share facility on Yahoo, Maybe I can use that

If it's simply to show some DIY image for discussion then just post it
somewhere public and then publish the link to the photo in your
discussion. Tinypic is good as you don't need to sign up or anything
just upload a file of aunder a limit (250kb) and you get a link back
that anyone can view. Really quick and easy.........

You could of course use your own file share if you like.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2006 08:42:46 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Are you sure you are reading about this group and not something like a
Yahoo or MS group?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2006 08:42:46 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

|I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
|instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
|group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
|done 'cause others have.

uk.* are text only newsgroups so photos are not allowed, Worse some
newsservers throw away posts with attachments.

If you want to show something, put it on the web on one of the free photo
places, and post the URL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
[...]

I'm trying Tinypic. Which address format do I use? There are 3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidW wrote:
mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
[...]

You just browse for the photo on you computer, add a title if required,
upload, view the photo and copy and paste the link in the address bar
to the discussion......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 08:42:46 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

|I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
|instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
|group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
|done 'cause others have.

uk.* are text only newsgroups so photos are not allowed, Worse some
newsservers throw away posts with attachments.

If you want to show something, put it on the web on one of the free photo
places, and post the URL.

I dumped my photo on tinypics.com and then tried inserting the given
URL in a post to this news group. But when I previewed the post, the
URL wasn't in blue and underlined. Is this to be expected?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidW wrote:
mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Try using this and posting the link:

http://tinypic.com/

So you don't need to email the photo to the group email address??

I have a photo store/share facility on Yahoo, Maybe I can use that

You cannot post pics to a text only server.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2006 09:24:29 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 08:42:46 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

|I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
|instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
|group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
|done 'cause others have.

uk.* are text only newsgroups so photos are not allowed, Worse some
newsservers throw away posts with attachments.

If you want to show something, put it on the web on one of the free photo
places, and post the URL.

I dumped my photo on tinypics.com and then tried inserting the given
URL in a post to this news group. But when I previewed the post, the
URL wasn't in blue and underlined. Is this to be expected?

Jusat tried doing that and mine showed up green and underlined . The colour
difference will be down to my options .Just post it and see what happens .

Use the last choice in tinypic ..the one that starts http
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 08:42:46 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

|I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
|instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
|group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
|done 'cause others have.

uk.* are text only newsgroups so photos are not allowed, Worse some
newsservers throw away posts with attachments.

If you want to show something, put it on the web on one of the free photo
places, and post the URL.

It works!

Thanks guys

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidW wrote:

I dumped my photo on tinypics.com and then tried inserting the given
URL in a post to this news group.

That is the right way to do it.

But when I previewed the post, the
URL wasn't in blue and underlined. Is this to be expected?

Depends, what did you preview it in?

Some newsreaders will attempt to recognise what could be URLs in the
text and make them clickable, some don't. However it is nothing that you
can control, since it comes down to the software the reader of the
message is using, not the poster.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2006 12:08:13 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

It works!

Thanks guys

It does ??????

can't see any message with a link to a pic in it yet !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 12:08:13 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

It works!

Thanks guys

It does ??????

can't see any message with a link to a pic in it yet !!!

Tinypic seems easy to use but how do you keep track of what you've
uploaded without registration?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:08:26 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 12:08:13 -0800, "DavidW" wrote:

It works!

Thanks guys

It does ??????

can't see any message with a link to a pic in it yet !!!

Tinypic seems easy to use but how do you keep track of what you've
uploaded without registration?

Exactly ...and how can you delete anything you have posted .Presumably you can't
.. I'd use Photobucket and it's the same company anyway

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
DavidW writes

mojo wrote:
DavidW wrote:
I amy trying to start a new topic incorporating a photo. The
instructions in the online help say that it has to be emailed to the
group email address, but I can't find that anywhere I know it can be
done 'cause others have.

Help!

TIA

Try using this and posting the link:

http://tinypic.com/

So you don't need to email the photo to the group email address??

Binary attachments are not allowed in uk.d-i-y

--
geoff