Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default clicking pipes

We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the
floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot
water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which
is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really
annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop
it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to
do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nigel wrote:
We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the
floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot
water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which
is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really
annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop
it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to
do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

I presume this is a thermal exapansion/contraction effect. A simple
fix might be to run the CH system with a lower boiler temperature (the
boiler stat, not the room stat). The rads will be cooler of course,
but it might still be enough to heat the house plus the clicking time
should be reduced becuase there is less change in the pipe length due
to the expansion.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov 2006 08:27:25 -0800 someone who may be "nigel"
wrote this:-

We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the
floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot
water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which
is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really
annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop
it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to
do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

Small bits of carpet, placed under the pipes so they slide more
easily. The clicking is caused by the pipes jerking slightly as they
contract.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nigel" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the
floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot
water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which
is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really
annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop
it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to
do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

In our house we had copper pipes running in notches on the top of joists for
a long run and lots of annoying clicking.

I replaced the pipes with Hep2O (plastic). Not a click since.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "nigel" contains these words:

Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop it?

Bit of felt under where each pipe bears on the joist.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cheers for the advice
vortex2 wrote:
"nigel" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have recently moved into a 10 year old house. The pipes in the
floor boards upstairs click for about an hour after the heating / hot
water has been turned off. The pipe run to and from the boiler which
is directly under the main bedroom, hence the cliking pipes are really
annoying at night. Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to stop
it? I guess I will have to get the floor boards up but I dont want to
do that unless there is a viable solution. Grateful for any advice!

In our house we had copper pipes running in notches on the top of joists for
a long run and lots of annoying clicking.

I replaced the pipes with Hep2O (plastic). Not a click since.

David

insulation of water pipes behind the wall of a finished attic Mike Home Repair 11 April 10th 19 03:44 PM
Clicking pipes (CH) Janner UK diy 12 October 23rd 06 08:21 PM
Hot water issue .. rusty .. pipes.. need advice Duncantuna Home Repair 4 March 7th 06 03:59 PM
Insulation foam on copper pipes R8EDXXX Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 10:56 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM