Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water joints buried inside walls.

I have to bury a 1/2" BSP (using washer) and a compression joint inside
a (solid) wall, i.e. basically, no access from behind etc. (BSP
compression elbow behind bar mixer), I've done this before, no
problems, but I just wondered, what could I do to make leaks
"impossible". e.g. thread sealants, bandages etc. Any-one else bother
with this, or do we all just hope its all OK ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote:
I have to bury a 1/2" BSP (using washer) and a compression joint inside
a (solid) wall, i.e. basically, no access from behind etc. (BSP
compression elbow behind bar mixer), I've done this before, no
problems, but I just wondered, what could I do to make leaks
"impossible". e.g. thread sealants, bandages etc. Any-one else bother
with this, or do we all just hope its all OK ?
Cheers,
Simon.

I would use jointing compound and look for any leaks before closing the
hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov 2006 07:10:49 -0800 someone who may be "sm_jamieson"
wrote this:-

I have to bury a 1/2" BSP (using washer) and a compression joint inside
a (solid) wall, i.e. basically, no access from behind etc. (BSP
compression elbow behind bar mixer), I've done this before, no
problems, but I just wondered, what could I do to make leaks
"impossible". e.g. thread sealants, bandages etc. Any-one else bother
with this, or do we all just hope its all OK ?

Screwfix (and no doubt others) offer something which allows one to
bring 15mm pipes out of the wall and into a compression fitting,
onto which bar mixers fit. Seems like a good way of avoiding a joint
in the wall to me.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Codswallop wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote:
I have to bury a 1/2" BSP (using washer) and a compression joint inside
a (solid) wall, i.e. basically, no access from behind etc. (BSP
compression elbow behind bar mixer), I've done this before, no
problems, but I just wondered, what could I do to make leaks
"impossible". e.g. thread sealants, bandages etc. Any-one else bother
with this, or do we all just hope its all OK ?
Cheers,
Simon.

I would use jointing compound and look for any leaks before closing the
hole.

You could slather it totally in chemical metal afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:10:49 -0800, sm_jamieson wrote:

I have to bury a 1/2" BSP (using washer) and a compression joint inside
a (solid) wall, i.e. basically, no access from behind etc. (BSP
compression elbow behind bar mixer), I've done this before, no
problems, but I just wondered, what could I do to make leaks
"impossible". e.g. thread sealants, bandages etc. Any-one else bother
with this, or do we all just hope its all OK ?

Pressure test it first. If it's to be driven from a shower pump then mains
pressure should do, if it's to run at mains pressure then it should be
tested with a pump which can deliver about half as much again as the mains
is likely to. You may be able to hire one (they're £100 to buy) but if
you don't do at least test at mains with hot water.