Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating related question.

Hi

Another banging issue and I dont have a clue so am wondering if someone
here can guide me in the right direction.

The central heating system is one of those gravity feed systems with a
big water tank. I wanted to do some pipework so drained the hot water
(for the hot water taps) out of the system and the storage tank so I
could do this job. I also turned off all of the possible taps that
were going into the boiler/tank and out of the boiler/tank.

Upon resetting everything and firing up the boiler I started hearing
bangs in the pipework, I tracked this down to some sort of pressure
relief valve that was clicking every so often (connected to the ouput
of the boiler). The radiators on the first floor are heating up but
the ones on the ground floor remain cold.

Any pointers as to what the problem is?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scratch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Another banging issue and I dont have a clue so am wondering if someone
here can guide me in the right direction.

The central heating system is one of those gravity feed systems with a
big water tank. I wanted to do some pipework so drained the hot water
(for the hot water taps) out of the system and the storage tank so I
could do this job. I also turned off all of the possible taps that
were going into the boiler/tank and out of the boiler/tank.

Upon resetting everything and firing up the boiler I started hearing
bangs in the pipework, I tracked this down to some sort of pressure
relief valve that was clicking every so often (connected to the ouput
of the boiler). The radiators on the first floor are heating up but
the ones on the ground floor remain cold.

Any pointers as to what the problem is?

Did you drain all or part of the central heating system and associated pipe work
to hot water tank primary coil ?

Have you opened all the valves?

Have you bled the radiators?

Is there a pump which you can run maybe at a higher speed than normal to clear
any airlocks?

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you drain all or part of the central heating system and associated pipe work
to hot water tank primary coil ?

I think it was all of it.

Have you opened all the valves?

yes

Have you bled the radiators?

yes

Is there a pump which you can run maybe at a higher speed than normal to clear
any airlocks?

I increased the speed of the pump and it worked, however yesterday I
turned down some of the valves on the radiators and the banging started
up again. Could the pump be knackered?