Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stair carpet alternative

I am in the process of decorating the hall and stair way, I have
ditched the stair carpet and I am thinking of an alternative in the
line of a pad that fits on each tread but so far had no luck in finding
anything suitable. Most of my searches seem to end in industrial sites
which are to expensive and come with hard rubber non slip finishes with
lovely reflective nosing's. I really prefer something in carpet or
similar as to keep down the noise and wonder if anyone knows of a
company/website that sells something like this.
Regards
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Trevor Smith" contains these words:

I am in the process of decorating the hall and stair way, I have
ditched the stair carpet and I am thinking of an alternative in the
line of a pad that fits on each tread but so far had no luck in finding
anything suitable. Most of my searches seem to end in industrial sites
which are to expensive and come with hard rubber non slip finishes with
lovely reflective nosing's.

You could make your own. Might involve a bit of work, but there's no
reason why you couldn't make a bezel to fit round some carpet segments.
Perhaps carpet tiles would be best suited, with a nice neat trim round
them.
If the treads are thick enough you could rout out a shallow tray for
carpet tiles sections to fit on each step.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of decorating the hall and stair way, I have
ditched the stair carpet and I am thinking of an alternative in the
line of a pad that fits on each tread but so far had no luck in

finding
anything suitable. Most of my searches seem to end in industrial

sites
which are to expensive and come with hard rubber non slip finishes

with
lovely reflective nosing's. I really prefer something in carpet or
similar as to keep down the noise and wonder if anyone knows of a
company/website that sells something like this.
Regards
Trevor Smith

Most professional carpet shops have the ability to 'blanket stitch'
the edge of loose carpets to stop them fraying. You could get your
carpet cut to tread sized pieces and stitched. (Many carpet sample
books have this edging)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 10:09 am, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"Trevor Smith" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

Thats a good idea, I shall look into that. Thanks
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

[...]

Still leaves the problem of the nosings. Do you have a pad on the
tread, with a free edge at the nose? Seems a recipe for tripping. Or
use edging strips? A recipe for slipping, perhaps? I suspect there's a
good reason for stair carpet being laid the way it usually is. I prefer
the appearance of it tucked under the nosing to the quicker/cheaper
approach of stretching it straight from the tread/riser corner to the
nose, but that's down to individual choice.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

(Many carpet sample books have this edging)

My piano teacher had carpeted her house with carpet book leaves all
stitched together. Most odd.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

(Many carpet sample books have this edging)

My piano teacher had carpeted her house with carpet book leaves all
stitched together. Most odd.

--
Skipweasel

Not much money in teaching the Piano then !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Not much money in teaching the Piano then !

Presumably not. Stern old bird called Lily Snipp. Just discovered while
googling for her that she played for Princess Di's dancing lessons.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

(Many carpet sample books have this edging)

My piano teacher had carpeted her house with carpet book leaves all
stitched together. Most odd.

That's all most piano teachers can afford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dear sir , have yoy thought about laminate , i have mine fitted with
lights in , this is knot as expensive as you might think, email me in
you want me to email you pics, gareth holmes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dear sir , have yoy thought about laminate , i have mine fitted with
lights in , this is knot as expensive as you might think, email me in
you want me to email you pics, gareth holmes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Trevor Smith wrote:
I am in the process of decorating the hall and stair way, I have
ditched the stair carpet and I am thinking of an alternative in the
line of a pad that fits on each tread but so far had no luck in finding
anything suitable.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is? With gripper board, you can use
a runner or individual pieces.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Estimating stair carpet Egremont UK diy 11 December 6th 05 01:33 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM
Measuring stair carpet paul williams UK diy 3 September 24th 03 12:38 PM