Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upvc door seal

I noticed that the external seal on one of my new doors is not sealing
like I'd expect, the internal one is tight though . ( as tested with a
bit or cardboard slipped in there)

The only adjustments are on the hinges, or the catch plate but I can't
think why they are not both tight. Any one know about this ?

--
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I noticed that the external seal on one of my new doors is not sealing
like I'd expect, the internal one is tight though . ( as tested with a
bit or cardboard slipped in there)

The only adjustments are on the hinges, or the catch plate but I can't
think why they are not both tight. Any one know about this ?

--
Simon

If the door has been fitted by a upvc replacement windows/doors company I
would get them back to sort it out. I would be wary of adjusting the door as
it may not lock if the plates get out of alignment with the bolts. These
doors often have 3 catch plates, so if you have to do this yourself it is
worth marking the positions of the screws in case you have to adjust back to
the original positions. I am assuming that you have checked the seals with
the door fully locked as the bolts should bring the door fame onto the
seals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Codswallop wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Indeed.. I was thinking of getting the installers back..

I had a fiddle with the catch plate and adjusters on the hinges, some
instructions would be handy though. It was fully closed, I think it's
the bolts that want adjusting if possible

At first I thought they'd screwed the metal bar onto the frame in the
wrong place but looking more closely I can see it's not possible to get
it wrong !

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Codswallop wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Looked at it again and I've fixed it.. the lock bolts are actually
eccentricly mounted, Tweaking these seems to have improved things a bit
.. should hvae realised..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2006 09:22:05 -0800, "
wrote:

Codswallop wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You should not have to 'adjust' the latches to compensate for an
incorrectly installed frame which is the most common reason for the
seals not engaging.