Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi boiler - problem.

Hi.
Can someone please help.
The boiler was working ok this morning, the heating was on and I ran a
bath. When I got home an hour ago the heating or hot water wouldn't
come on.
The pilot light was light but has now gone out and won''t come back on.
I have taken the cover off to look inside and there has been water
dripping inside. It seems to be coming from a small screw which I have
tightened and it has stopped dripping.
When pressing the ignition to light the pilot light it is not making
the usual clicking noise and will not light. The boiler is unusually
quiet.
The power is on and the pressure is fine.
It is a STYX model - SX 20 M FF. Serial No. - 94107055.
Does any one know what the problem might be.
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming that there is water in the boiler ( gauge showing about 1.5bar )
Try pressing the overheat button located underneath the bottom left of the
boiler ( remove cap if necessary )
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.
Can someone please help.
The boiler was working ok this morning, the heating was on and I ran a
bath. When I got home an hour ago the heating or hot water wouldn't
come on.
The pilot light was light but has now gone out and won''t come back on.
I have taken the cover off to look inside and there has been water
dripping inside. It seems to be coming from a small screw which I have
tightened and it has stopped dripping.
When pressing the ignition to light the pilot light it is not making
the usual clicking noise and will not light. The boiler is unusually
quiet.
The power is on and the pressure is fine.
It is a STYX model - SX 20 M FF. Serial No. - 94107055.
Does any one know what the problem might be.
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Ian.
I can not seem to find the overheat button or a cap. There is nothing
underneath the boiler. There is water in the boiler.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks geoff.
I don't know if it is water damaged or not.
The water was coming from a loose screw about a 1/3 of the way up the
boiler on the right side. The ignition switch is also a 1/3 of the way
up the boiler but in the middle of it.
I don't think the water could have got on the ignition switch.
I don't know if it has a piezo ignition.
Where would I find the piezo element.

raden wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Hi.
Can someone please help.
The boiler was working ok this morning, the heating was on and I ran a
bath. When I got home an hour ago the heating or hot water wouldn't
come on.
The pilot light was light but has now gone out and won''t come back on.
I have taken the cover off to look inside and there has been water
dripping inside. It seems to be coming from a small screw which I have
tightened and it has stopped dripping.
When pressing the ignition to light the pilot light it is not making
the usual clicking noise and will not light. The boiler is unusually
quiet.
The power is on and the pressure is fine.
It is a STYX model - SX 20 M FF. Serial No. - 94107055.
Does any one know what the problem might be.
Thanks

Sounds like you have water damage, but only you are in a position to
assess the extent.

I've come across quite a few Styx PCBs which have suffered from water
damage, is that the case with yours ?

I think that the Styx has piezo ignition, doesn't it ?

maybe you've soaked the piezo element - hairdryer time (if you're lucky)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
writes
Thanks geoff.
I don't know if it is water damaged or not.
The water was coming from a loose screw about a 1/3 of the way up the
boiler on the right side. The ignition switch is also a 1/3 of the way
up the boiler but in the middle of it.
I don't think the water could have got on the ignition switch.
I don't know if it has a piezo ignition.
Where would I find the piezo element.

It's normally a black button in a tubular housing about 3" long

and that would be for a perm. pilot boiler

raden wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I understand what you mean now.
This is the button you push to light the ignition.
I have already dismantled this and cleaned it. When pushing this button
it is not making the usual clicking noise to ignight it.

raden wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
" writes

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.

It only says you have to be "competent" to work on your own boiler

ISTR this pcb is quite cheap to buy

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message om,
" writes

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.

It only says you have to be "competent" to work on your own boiler

ISTR this pcb is quite cheap to buy

--
geoff

Just to let you know that I managed to change the circuit board myself.
Rang 2 places for price, first one was £153 the second was £60.
The boiler is now working fine at a cost of £60.
My husband is astounded.
Thanks for all the help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
" writes

raden wrote:
In message om,
" writes

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.

It only says you have to be "competent" to work on your own boiler

ISTR this pcb is quite cheap to buy

--
geoff

Just to let you know that I managed to change the circuit board myself.
Rang 2 places for price, first one was £153 the second was £60.
The boiler is now working fine at a cost of £60.

They were around £45 last time I looked - not worth my time to repair
them

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:58:44 +0000, raden wrote:

In message . com,
" writes

raden wrote:
In message om,
" writes

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.

It only says you have to be "competent" to work on your own boiler

ISTR this pcb is quite cheap to buy

--
geoff

Just to let you know that I managed to change the circuit board myself.
Rang 2 places for price, first one was £153 the second was £60.
The boiler is now working fine at a cost of £60.

They were around £45 last time I looked - not worth my time to repair
them

Are they particularly simple or just reasonably priced?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:58:44 +0000, raden wrote:

In message . com,
" writes

raden wrote:
In message om,
" writes

I have taken the cover off the circuit board and it looks as if this is
the problem.
Can I change the circuit board myself or do you have to have a plumber
to do this.

It only says you have to be "competent" to work on your own boiler

ISTR this pcb is quite cheap to buy

--
geoff
Just to let you know that I managed to change the circuit board myself.
Rang 2 places for price, first one was £153 the second was £60.
The boiler is now working fine at a cost of £60.

They were around £45 last time I looked - not worth my time to repair
them

Are they particularly simple or just reasonably priced?

A transformer, bridge, pot and a couple of connectors IIRC

So, both really

--
geoff