Rich

Default Getting Inhibiter into a sealed heating system

Hi,

This may seem a trivial matter to some but i have never done it!

My central heating is a sealed fully pumped system.
I would like to flush it and add new inhibiter.

The flushing part i think i can handle.
i.e. Connect a hose from the tap (check valvle) to the flow and a hose
from the return to a drain.

How can i add the descaler?
When it is fully flushed the system will be full of water...So how do
i add the inhibiter? Probably the same way i add the descaler ;-)

Regards,

Rich
BigWallop

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This may seem a trivial matter to some but i have never done it!

My central heating is a sealed fully pumped system.
I would like to flush it and add new inhibiter.

The flushing part i think i can handle.
i.e. Connect a hose from the tap (check valvle) to the flow and a hose
from the return to a drain.

How can i add the descaler?
When it is fully flushed the system will be full of water...So how do
i add the inhibiter? Probably the same way i add the descaler ;-)

Regards,

Rich

You can add it through one of the radiator bleed valves, or directly into
the boiler pipework through a bleed valve at the top.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:43:36 +0100, "BillR"
wrote:

Thats what I used it was Fernox. Comes in a standard sealant style cartridge
so you need a sealant gun if you haven't got one already.
There are a couple of other makes.
None of the cartridges are cheap approx £25.
If you have a Travis Perkins near you its worth looking in their manager's
clearance bin.
I found 6 misc CH cartridges they were selling off for a quid each with only
minor packaging problems.

To get it in I used a slight variation on their instructions.

Isolate a rad by turning both its valves fully off.
Loosen one of the rad to valve connections to let out some water into a
container, not a lot i.e. just over a cartridge worth. Open bleed valve a
little to aid this.
Retighten rad to valve connection.
Remove bleed valve screw.
Cut plastic Fernox supplied plastic adaptor so its a tight fit in bleed
valve hole.
Inject chemical into radiator.
Replace and tighten bleed screw.
Open rad valves.
Run system as per instructions.

I've used the exact same method.

The manufacturer's instructions generally involve injecting against
the pressure of the system - i.e. close valves, remove vent screw, fit
cartridge, open a valve and inject. The problem is that the
nozzles do not seem to make a perfect seal so water tends to squirt
out. Dropping the pressure and injecting into a wholly or partly
empty radiator works much better.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl