Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maximum load on RCD?

Hi - I'd like to add another radial circuit for sockets (32A or 40A) to
the RCD side of my CU, and I'm wondering if it's ok to do this, given
that there are already three MCBs installed on the RCD side, as below.
The RCD is 80A / 30mA.

50A shower
32A ring main (sockets)
16A radial (sockets)

It seems that I'm nearing the 80A capacity of the RCD already. Is this
too much load on the RCD?

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It seems that I'm nearing the 80A capacity of the RCD already. Is this
too much load on the RCD?

I wouldn't myself. Then I don't like sharing RCDs between circuits anyway. I
would use RCBOs on any socket circuits and only use the shared RCD for
circuits that don't really matter much, like the shower.

You could certainly add your new circuit using an RCBO on the non-RCD side,
assuming your consumer unit manufacturer makes one that you have room for.

Christian.