Old October 27th 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterson boiler keeps cutting out after a few minutes

Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me :-)

I have a potterson conventional boiler in my kitchen (downstairs) and a
hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard in an upstairs bedroom. I
have a control panel that sets when the h/w and c/h comes on. I have a
grundfos selectric 15/50 pump, also in the airing cupboard. Recently
this pump started making a loud whiring/vibrating noise (a bit like the
noise made by Dr Who's tardis) when the hot water came on at 6:30am
ready for baths etc. The boiler still worked, the h/w and c/h still
worked but this noise was too much to take each morning.

I turned the pump up to 3 (was on 1) to see if this would fix it but
made it worse.
I assumed, not being a plumber in any way, that it could be air stuck
in the pipes so I drained one of the upstairs radiators to see if this
would fix the problem. Needless to say it made it worse!! Now when the
h/w or c/h (or both) come on the boiler starts, the pump starts but
after a few minutes the boiler starts making a noise like it is boiling
which increases and then it cuts out (i assume this is to stop it over
heating much like a kettle).
The pump in the airing cupboard continues to work (i assume as i can
feel it vibrating and changing the speed makes it faster/slower) but
the pipes above and below it don't get hot.

Any suggestions would be very welcome before I call an engineer which
could cost an arm and a leg, and how could I enjoy my nice warm house
with only one arm and one leg?!?

Old October 27th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I'm not a plumber or heating engineer, but when we recently had boiler
problems (cutting out), it was caused by a failing water pump. We
replaced the pump, and everything was back to normal.

Old October 27th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not a plumber or heating engineer, but when we recently had boiler
problems (cutting out), it was caused by a failing water pump. We
replaced the pump, and everything was back to normal.

Hi thanks for the reply. Can you remember if the pump was still making
any noise as if it was working fine?

Old October 27th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm not a plumber or heating engineer, but when we recently had boiler
problems (cutting out), it was caused by a failing water pump. We
replaced the pump, and everything was back to normal.

Hi thanks for the reply. Can you remember if the pump was still making
any noise as if it was working fine?

Well in fact the opposite. On close inspection of the pump there was a
distinct lack of noise, and the casing was blisteringly hot. It was
pretty clear that it wasn't functioning correctly.

Old October 27th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in fact the opposite. On close inspection of the pump there was a
distinct lack of noise, and the casing was blisteringly hot. It was
pretty clear that it wasn't functioning correctly.

My pump seems to be working, as much as I can hear it turning, but the
hot water does not seem to leave the boiler causing it to heat up until
it reaches the maximum tempratue causing it to trip out.

Could it be air stuck in the pipes preventing the pump from
distributing the heated water from the boiler?

Old October 27th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Well in fact the opposite. On close inspection of the pump there was a
distinct lack of noise, and the casing was blisteringly hot. It was
pretty clear that it wasn't functioning correctly.

My pump seems to be working, as much as I can hear it turning, but the
hot water does not seem to leave the boiler causing it to heat up until
it reaches the maximum tempratue causing it to trip out.

Could it be air stuck in the pipes preventing the pump from
distributing the heated water from the boiler?

I'd still put my money on your pump failing though, if it's making
strange whirring/grinding noises, as you said in your first post.
Doesn't sound healthy does it?

Old October 27th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd still put my money on your pump failing though, if it's making
strange whirring/grinding noises, as you said in your first post.
Doesn't sound healthy does it?

True but the noise did go away after a while until I bled the radiator
and now it does not make the whiring noise but the water is not taken
from the boiler either.

arggh I wish I were a plumber then I'd know what to do :0)

Old October 27th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Hit the pump
take off the screw in the middle and try and free the pump by rotating
the spindle.
Replace the pump.
Old October 27th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hit the pump
take off the screw in the middle and try and free the pump by rotating
the spindle.
Replace the pump.

will the pump leak any water when i remove the screw?

Old October 27th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct 2006 03:05:25 -0700, wrote:

[...]

How did you drain a radiator?

There is probably an airlock tween the boiler and the valves. Vent out
all the gas on each radiator with the radiator key. There maybe a vent
near the valves aswell and also the screw on the side of the pump
needs venting as NP said.

With the original problem I think you need to do a chemical flush. It
fixed my noisy pump and made the radiators warm again!

Needless to say it made it worse!! Now when the
h/w or c/h (or both) come on the boiler starts, the pump starts but
after a few minutes the boiler starts making a noise like it is boiling
which increases and then it cuts out (i assume this is to stop it over
heating much like a kettle).
The pump in the airing cupboard continues to work (i assume as i can
feel it vibrating and changing the speed makes it faster/slower) but
the pipes above and below it don't get hot.

Any suggestions would be very welcome before I call an engineer which
could cost an arm and a leg, and how could I enjoy my nice warm house
with only one arm and one leg?!?

Trianco Boiler Cutting Out Constantly technics100 UK diy 17 November 3rd 15 11:29 PM
Worcester 24i Combi boiler keeps cutting out Gareth UK diy 2 October 24th 04 09:41 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM