Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating - not room thermostat and no try

Hi.

I am moving in to a new flat 1 bedroom. 4 radiators, Worcester 24cdi
combination.

The problem is that for now there is no room thermostat and no trv on
the radiators. For the next month or two It have to stay like that.
Latter I will be able to change, add parts to the system.

What will be the best way to save energy in the main time.

1. I have manual clock on the boiler so I was thinking to set the CH to
go off for 15 min every 30 min or set it to 15min on 15 min off. In the
morning when I start the system I will set it to work for one hour and
than again 15 min on 15 min off.
2. Or The lower the temperature of the water in the CH system lets
say to 50 and not to max witch is 82

Also when I will do I change in the system what will be the best way ?
TRV on all the radiators or room thermostat ? I can have only one of
them. (money ï?Š )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Golan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You're supposed to have both on new installations, with the thermostat in
the hallway ( usually ) near a radiator with no TRV. You can buy a cheap but
effective three-wire ( better than two wire because a three-wire thermostat
has a slightly more predictive capability ) TRV's for £12 at B&Q.

Anyway, if I had to go for one option I'd personally go for TRV's on all
rads. In that case you need to make sure the CH boiler has a bypass valve,
since once the TRV's all shut off the boiler will be trying to pump hot
water into a completely shutoff system, and it needs a short bypass loop and
valve to allow water to continue to circulate back to the boiler ( the
boiler senses return temperature, so if there is no flow 'cause all the
TRV's are shut off the boiler will go a bit mad ). If the boiler doesn't
have a bypass valve you need to fit one or leave a TRV off one radiator.

Of course, in that case that radiator always be on at full blast when the
boiler is on but you could always throw a towel over it to reduce output if
that room gets too hot.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com
, Golan writes
[...]

them. (money 0

That's a lot of boiler for a small flat and I think it will heat the space up
quite quickly. By all means turn the boiler stat down a bit but IIRC this
boiler is not a condensing (uber efficiency) type so you should not turn the
boiler temp setting so low as to cause condensation in the heat exchanger
(say setting 3-3 1/2 from 5). Although the timed on-off cycling you describe
is a bit messy it is probably the thing to do in the short term, vary the gaps
between on periods to suit your comfort level and to suit the weather
outside.

In the longer term I think a flat as small as you describe could be quite
effectively controlled by just a room stat, probably mounted in the lounge. If
you find other rooms get excessively hot then throttle them down a bit by
closing the lockshield valve on those rads. That would certainly be the less
invasive option in terms of system modification and if you err on the side of
over throttling the rads outside the living room and making them a little cool
then you will not be wasting much heat over TRVs. If you occasionally find
a secondary room a little cool then just open the door to the warmer space
to let it get a bit warmer. If you find the kitchen hot while cooking, just turn
off the rad.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Golan wrote:
[...]

You best bet is to TRV the radiators and put a radio stat - with
possibly a timer built in - as an overall stat. I got mine yesterday at
10a.m. By 12 a.m. it was installed and working. Essentially the
transmitter goes where you like, and the receiver is inserted between
the existing time clock and the boiler. Or between the CH live and the
boiler if you want to scrap the timer altogether.

It was about as hard as wiring up two plugs and fitting 4 screws into
the wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You best bet is to TRV the radiators and put a radio stat - with
possibly a timer built in - as an overall stat. I got mine yesterday at
10a.m. By 12 a.m. it was installed and working.

snip

It was about as hard as wiring up two plugs and fitting 4 screws into
the wall.

Why did it take 14 hours then? ;-)