Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default What to do with full faulty can of foam :-)

"Lobster" wrote in message
Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no
amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response,
until eventually the stuff started coming out around the nipple on the
can, but from the wrong side of the rubber seal - and yes my hand is
absolutely covered in the stuff!

Dunno what went wrong but although it's unused it's quite old, which might
be relevant.

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be
thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is
required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my hand
will be in for the next X days!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Bonfire night approaches

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

The 12 year old in me once lit a small fire, placed a can of lighter
gas nearby and retreated with my trusty Wienrauch 35 ( air rifle)
single shot to the centre of the can.......... it took off like a small
jet, most impressive :-)
kinder than shooting the rabbits and pheasants we have in abundance
here, but nowt to "put in't pot" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Air rifle was my initial reaction but if thats not an option maybe a big
homemade catapult or a bit of drainpipe with a block and an upturned six in
nail at the bottom would suffice a mortar launcher?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

like it ! could get very messy.

I bought a case of 6 builders foam from screwfix and they didn't work.
screwfix sent me a replacement but didn't want the old ones so I still
have them somewhere so if anyone comes up with a real doozer of
an idea I'll try it out and video the results.

I once had a can of shaving foam rust through. I was living in a flat and I
heard this slow build whooshing noise. I'm not the scared type but this
was a very strange, very real noise. I eventually tracked it down to the
bathroom and there on the shelf was a huge 'brain' of shaving foam
with a can in the middle. the can had a tiny pinhole at the bottom of
it where all the foam had escaped from.

I also saw one of those road marking spray cans on a country road which had
obviously been discarded roadside, rusted through and jet propelled it's self
along the side of the lane leaving a yellow splat each time it rolled over.

as for the builders foam:

putting it on a fire, would be very very messy. putting it in a microwave
might be more fun. strapping it to one of those HUGE fireworks would
be a right laugh but you wouldn't get to see the results unless you snapped
the stick off the rocket which would be very, very messy indeed.

strap it to a gatso and plink a pellet into it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

I really, really wouldn't.
Either microwave or fire.
Not to mention the risk of bits of the can hitting you, there is the
huge problem of the burning foam being very, very toxic when burned.

To be boring, if you have an application that needs a whole can, you can
simply punch a very small hole in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

tape all six cans together and drop some thermite onto em, now that
would be worth watching :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no
amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response,
until eventually the stuff started coming out around the nipple on the
can, but from the wrong side of the rubber seal - and yes my hand is
absolutely covered in the stuff!

Dunno what went wrong but although it's unused it's quite old, which
might be relevant.

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be
thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is
required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my
hand will be in for the next X days!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

personally I'd just bin the stuff if only to avoid getting any more on
your hands.. it doesn't come off does it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Staffbull wrote:
. wrote:
TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

hmmm, thermite.... in his climate I'll end up doing a 10 stretch in GitMo !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"Lobster"

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Hmm - we we had some problems with some ginger beer that my wife
made earlier this year. See...

www.pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer

we had to dispose of it carefully...

see.... (only for broadband) it's 27MB so takes a few mins to download ....

pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

:-)
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TonyK
writes
Air rifle was my initial reaction but if thats not an option maybe a big
homemade catapult or a bit of drainpipe with a block and an upturned six in
nail at the bottom would suffice a mortar launcher?

Oooh, I *like* that idea.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

www.pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer

we had to dispose of it carefully...

see.... (only for broadband) it's 27MB so takes a few mins to download

pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

:-)
Roy

A smaller, low res, version for non broadband...

http://pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer_1MB.wmv

enjoy... :-)

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
. wrote:
TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no
amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response,

snip
Bonfire night approaches

like it ! could get very messy.

I really, really wouldn't.

I probably will.

The fumes produced by burning foam are very, very toxic.
Nearly all aerosols are safer to burn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer
we had to dispose of it carefully...
see.... (only for broadband) it's 27MB so takes a few mins to download ....
pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

Try...

http://pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:15:07 +0100, "TMC" wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Putting any aerosol on a fire is just plain stupid ,apart from being dangerous
and not necessarily to yourself .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote in message
"Lobster"

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Hmm - we we had some problems with some ginger beer that my wife
made earlier this year. See...

www.pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer

we had to dispose of it carefully...

see.... (only for broadband) it's 27MB so takes a few mins to download

pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer/gbeer.avi

:-)
Roy

Excellent! Nearly as good as a case of coke and a box on mentos

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

behave yourself. I've put butane cylinders on big fires in the past.

a large part of the fun is the danger, that's why dangerous things are fun.

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster
[...]

Wedge it behind the wheel of a car belonging to someone you dont like. When they drive off, it bursts..... you have a foamy motor and a seriously fed up owner!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me
The floor is now open...

Toss it into a busy main road, then depart hurridly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RzB
writes
"Lobster"

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Hmm - we we had some problems with some ginger beer that my wife
made earlier this year. See...

www.pix.gillandroy.com/odds/gbeer

Pah - wimp

I had a 25 litre water container full of fermenting mango must explode
on me in Indonesia (at 5 am - I thought a bomb had gone off)

.... useful things servants

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no
amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response,
until eventually the stuff started coming out around the nipple on the
can, but from the wrong side of the rubber seal - and yes my hand is
absolutely covered in the stuff!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

David

Bonfire night approaches

Putting any aerosol on a fire is just plain stupid ,apart from being dangerous
and not necessarily to yourself .

Yeah, but it's fun

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Stuart
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
Just tried to use a new can of expanding foam but it failed on me - no
amount of pressure on the trigger mechanism would elicit any response,
until eventually the stuff started coming out around the nipple on the
can, but from the wrong side of the rubber seal - and yes my hand is
absolutely covered in the stuff!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

The floor is now open...

Bonfire night approaches

Putting any aerosol on a fire is just plain stupid ,apart from being dangerous
and not necessarily to yourself .

Yeah, but it's fun

Foam is significantly more dangerous than most other things.
The stuff it lets off when it burns is really very nasty.

Not to mention the fact that burning foam is probably a really, really
bad thing to get on your skin.

(if you must do it, put it 'upside-down' - so it throws the light top
upwards, not at people)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
TMC wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

It could also act as an instant fire extinguisher, turning a nice bonfire
into a mass of smouldering foam.

But then, it might not.

Sounds pretty dangerous in any case (which I ought to mention, in case
someone actually does this and blames uk.d-i-y for the results).

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
raden wrote:
In message , Stuart
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Like napalm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IainN wrote:
Lobster Wrote:
[...]

Youre on the right track, but you need a working can of foam to "get
your'e own back"
insert nozzle into recess along the front of all doors and give them a
good squirt. Next morning laugh uncontrollably as said "target" cannot
open doors for love nor money :-)
Also equally destructive and costly is filling up the exhaust, this
can cause enough back pressure to blow the head as it cant exhaust the
gases.

Or so I'm told......... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be
thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is
required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my
hand will be in for the next X days!

Stand it on its own and let it leak gently... in the morning you will
have a sculpture worthy of Henry Moore.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you know anyone with a canoe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be
thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is
required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my
hand will be in for the next X days!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

Well, I thought I'd come back with one suggestion as to what NOT to do
with such a can, in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar
situation. Whatever you do, don't take it out in the garden and give it
a whack with a nail at the end of a 6' pole to burst it.

Because it just occurs to me, what might happen is that a jet of liquid
foam might just emerge heading 20 feet into the sky, spraying the stuff
all over your shed and garden, and over next door's fence into their
garden... and worse, consider if it happened to be quite windy at the
time (like it was today, spookily e, you might find the wind could
break up the jet at around rooftop level, causing the stuff to float to
ground level like large globules of sticky yellow snow over a large area
- the house, garden, you, and next door. And then try explaining that
little lot to the neighbour.

So no, don't do that. Just do what I did and stick the faulty can
straight in the bin. You know it makes sense.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

So no, don't do that.

Sir, you have a vivid imagination ;-)

Just do what I did and stick the faulty can
straight in the bin. You know it makes sense.

Right ho... perhaps we could have a new entry in the FAQ to go along
with the canoe story? g

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

hehe. Or you could mass produce joke dog turds. Just hold the can up
letting it dribble, and move it every so often. Dip in brown paint
later. Really useful.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:31:56 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Lobster wrote:

But anyway - the 12-year-old in me refuses to allow the can simply to be
thrown out with the rubbish... a far more creative method of disposal is
required. At least I would extract some benefit from my the mess my
hand will be in for the next X days!

Unfortunately I do not posess either (a) an air rifle or (b) a
particularly large garden, which might constrain some of the more 'fun'
ideas.

How about a DIY sandstone garden..er..thingy?

Dig a pit in the garden - 2ft square should be enough. Dig a can
shaped sub pit at the bottom and place can in it - then fill the
whole lot with dry sand. Find a pointy steel thing and drive it
straight down through the sand into the tin.
The foam should mix nicely with the sand, and when cured should leave
an 'unusual' sandstone object d'art. You should be able to cut the can
away to leave a reasonably flat base.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

you didn't ? did you ? hahahhaha and full respect if you did ;-)

got any footage :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Actually sticking a hole in the can with a nail IS the right thing, except
you don't use a pole and stab at it. Wearing gloves you gently skewer the
nail into the can until a tiny hole opens up whereupon you place the can on
a dusty surface away from anything else and watch with interest as over a
cubic foot of foam comes into existence.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:25:50 +0000, Owain

Would the council send the bill for cleaning the foam out of their wheelie
bin wagon when it gets crushed?

What's the volume of a can of foam, expanded, and the volume of a
wheelie bin wagon i.e. how many cans would be needed to cause a visible
overflow?

I have a can here that says it yields 60x the can's contents.
Allowing for marketspiel and other factors, a typical 750ml can should
contain about half a litre of foam, at least. That makes 30 litres
expanded.
I've no ideas what the volume of a wheelie bin would be, but 15 empty
2 litre coke bottles would fill about a third of a bin, I reckon.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:

I have a can here that says it yields 60x the can's contents.
Allowing for marketspiel and other factors, a typical 750ml can should
contain about half a litre of foam, at least. That makes 30 litres
expanded.
I've no ideas what the volume of a wheelie bin would be, but 15 empty
2 litre coke bottles would fill about a third of a bin, I reckon.

I suppose the ideal would be your bin three quarters full of part A of a
binary foam, and then dump part B in a neighbours bin! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

I have a can here that says it yields 60x the can's contents.
Allowing for marketspiel and other factors, a typical 750ml can should
contain about half a litre of foam, at least. That makes 30 litres
expanded.
I've no ideas what the volume of a wheelie bin would be, but 15 empty
2 litre coke bottles would fill about a third of a bin, I reckon.

I suppose the ideal would be your bin three quarters full of part A of a
binary foam, and then dump part B in a neighbours bin! ;-)

lol, make sure you've got the camera ready

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:05:46 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
What's the volume of a can of foam, expanded, and the volume of a
wheelie bin wagon i.e. how many cans would be needed to cause a visible
overflow?

I have a can here that says it yields 60x the can's contents.
Allowing for marketspiel and other factors, a typical 750ml can should
contain about half a litre of foam, at least. That makes 30 litres
expanded.
I've no ideas what the volume of a wheelie bin would be, but 15 empty
2 litre coke bottles would fill about a third of a bin, I reckon.

A standard wheelie bin is AFAIK 300 litres, but it was the wagon I was
wondering about, as that's where the cans will be crushed :-)

I think this is one for one of those 'mythbuster' type programmes. I'd
watch it!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Source for hot wire cutter for spray foam insulation Wayne Whitney Home Repair 9 September 26th 06 11:28 PM
how to patch foam roofing? botfood Home Ownership 3 May 18th 05 03:50 PM
Tyvek between siding and concret Foam.. RobAHali Home Repair 4 March 17th 05 01:42 AM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Ownership 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM