Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default running in two stroke power tools

I guess this is a good group to ask.. I want to know if you are you
generally supposed to "run in" small two stroke engines ? I ask
because I have bought a chainsaw and a brush cutter over the last year
or so. The chainsaw (Huqvarna 137 ) manual makes no mention of any
running in. However for the Brushcutter ( a rather OTT Stihl FS80 ) the
user manual advises 'not to operate on full revs. with no load for the
first 5 tanks'.. Now why would you do that anyway ?

I wander if the chainsaw was run in at the factory since it shoudl be
used at full revs all the time. As normal I only read the Bruscutter
manual fully after using the thing all afternoon.. Oops..
Still I guess I can take it easier with it next time ? I rather thought
it sounded a bit on the metalicy/ clanky side on tickover , but fine at
speed. Anyone here got one and tell me what it sounds like?
--
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess this is a good group to ask.. I want to know if you are you
generally supposed to "run in" small two stroke engines ? I ask
because I have bought a chainsaw and a brush cutter over the last year
or so. The chainsaw (Huqvarna 137 ) manual makes no mention of any
running in. However for the Brushcutter ( a rather OTT Stihl FS80 ) the
user manual advises 'not to operate on full revs. with no load for the
first 5 tanks'.. Now why would you do that anyway ?

I wander if the chainsaw was run in at the factory since it shoudl be
used at full revs all the time. As normal I only read the Bruscutter
manual fully after using the thing all afternoon.. Oops..
Still I guess I can take it easier with it next time ? I rather thought
it sounded a bit on the metalicy/ clanky side on tickover , but fine at
speed. Anyone here got one and tell me what it sounds like?

With technology advances in fuels, oils and metals these days it's hardly
worth worrying about on such small engines.
If you feel like "running in" the machines just follow the advice on the
strimmer for both.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6 wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Basically things these days are machined to very tight tolerances and on
a petrol engine slathering in oil lie a 2-stroke, there is no real need.

If it bothers you, double up on oil for a tankful and let it idle its
way to empty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
6 wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

ok then thanks for the reply. thinking back to my old DTR125
bike..which siezed up whilst flat out on the dual carriage !
--
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6 wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It's not the tolerances that matter, but the finish on the machined
surfaces. I, personally, would always run in all new engines and avoid
maximum revs during that period.

If it bothers you, double up on oil for a tankful and let it idle its way
to empty.

That's no good. An engine needs to run under a gradually increasing load to
become "run in".

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
6 wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Also thinking about it. you get less lubrication at tick over on a two
banger

Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
beginner tools Justa Beginner Woodworking 14 March 3rd 05 03:15 AM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM