Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Removing silicone sealant

cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant? Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
reg reg is offline

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?
Someone's glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some
sort of scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

http://sites.stocksphere.com/mykal/i...9&categoryid=3

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Tom Burton" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

How good is it at getting the silicone off? I'm painting the door, and
silicone causes lots of problems with car paint. If using a remover means I
get a faint residue of silicone all over the shop, I'm in more trouble than
when I started.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Doki wrote:
"Tom Burton" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

How good is it at getting the silicone off? I'm painting the door, and
silicone causes lots of problems with car paint. If using a remover means I
get a faint residue of silicone all over the shop, I'm in more trouble than
when I started.

It's good, but I'd scrape off what you can first - the best thing I've
found is the long blades you get for snap-off knives (just the blade,
but be careful not to slice a finger off)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?
Someone's glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some
sort of scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

I used Silicone Eater to "try" and remove the silicone from around my bath.
Worse than useless!!
I've just noticed on screwfix that it isn't classed as a hazardous product
so maybe its not as strong as the others.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

We always use a heatgun to get RTV sealant off various items at work. On
something like a car door I would try heating it while you work at it with a
bit of soft wood. Finish off the last few bits with ideally isopropyl
alcohol (Safewash) or probably meths will do the job.

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?
Someone's glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some
sort of scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

What's good for removing silicone sealant... woodglass UK diy 9 September 14th 06 04:18 PM
Silicone Sealant?? PeteD UK diy 4 December 20th 05 11:29 PM
Couple of questions on applying / removing silicone Steven Campbell UK diy 4 September 29th 05 06:45 PM
Removing Silicone Caulk Gryhound Home Repair 5 October 4th 04 07:11 PM
Removing silicone caulk Roger Home Repair 2 September 27th 04 02:58 PM