DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing silicone sealant (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/180187-removing-silicone-sealant.html)

Doki October 23rd 06 06:03 PM

Removing silicone sealant

cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant? Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

Tom Burton October 23rd 06 06:13 PM

Removing silicone sealant

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

Tom

reg October 23rd 06 06:18 PM

Removing silicone sealant

http://sites.stocksphere.com/mykal/i...9&categoryid=3

Doki October 23rd 06 06:39 PM

Removing silicone sealant

"Tom Burton" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

How good is it at getting the silicone off? I'm painting the door, and
silicone causes lots of problems with car paint. If using a remover means I
get a faint residue of silicone all over the shop, I'm in more trouble than
when I started.

[email protected] October 23rd 06 07:40 PM

Removing silicone sealant

Doki wrote:
"Tom Burton" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?

Someone's
glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some sort of
scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

It always leaves a residue... Get yourself a pot of the propper Silicone
Remover Polycell do one for £5 you get the chemical and a few brushes and
spreaders...

Local DIY shop.

Any probs get back and ill post you one ( I am a local DIY shop)

How good is it at getting the silicone off? I'm painting the door, and
silicone causes lots of problems with car paint. If using a remover means I
get a faint residue of silicone all over the shop, I'm in more trouble than
when I started.

It's good, but I'd scrape off what you can first - the best thing I've
found is the long blades you get for snap-off knives (just the blade,
but be careful not to slice a finger off)

Steven Campbell October 24th 06 08:55 AM

Removing silicone sealant

"Doki" wrote in message
cross posted to .d-i-y and .rec.cars.maintenance.

Does anyone have any good ideas for scraping off silicone sealant?
Someone's glued a door membrane on with it, and I want to get it off. Some
sort of scraper with a razor edge would be handy.

I used Silicone Eater to "try" and remove the silicone from around my bath.
Worse than useless!!
I've just noticed on screwfix that it isn't classed as a hazardous product
so maybe its not as strong as the others.

Steven.

SteveB October 24th 06 07:09 PM

Removing silicone sealant

We always use a heatgun to get RTV sealant off various items at work. On
something like a car door I would try heating it while you work at it with a
bit of soft wood. Finish off the last few bits with ideally isopropyl
alcohol (Safewash) or probably meths will do the job.