Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for an infrared thermometer

Does the following eBay item look satisfactory for balancing domestic
central heating radiators?
http://tinyurl.com/y4olvf

The nearest alternative is the following but would be over 40 quid with
postage.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=IN02293

Details of any alternatives appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:11:34 +0100, "Codswallop" wrote:

|Does the following eBay item look satisfactory for balancing domestic
|central heating radiators?
|http://tinyurl.com/y4olvf
|
|The nearest alternative is the following but would be over 40 quid with
|postage.
|http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=IN02293
|
|Details of any alternatives appreciated.

But to balance domestic central heating radiators you must measure the
temperature of the air in the room. The surface temp of the radiator is
irrelevant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote;
But to balance domestic central heating radiators you must measure the
temperature of the air in the room. The surface temp of the radiator is
irrelevant.

You mean that this FAQ is wrong?
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

Why not use an ordinary el cheapo thermometer - you know, the ones with an
outside sensor for about 9 quid, like:-

Unless you know the emissivity of the object you are measuring with an IR
thermometer it will not be all that accurate anyway in absolute terms.

Slurp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Codswallop" writes:
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote;
But to balance domestic central heating radiators you must measure the
temperature of the air in the room. The surface temp of the radiator is
irrelevant.

You mean that this FAQ is wrong?
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

FAQ is correct. I can't imagine what Dave is thinking about.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 21 Oct,
"Slurp" wrote:

Unless you know the emissivity of the object you are measuring with an IR
thermometer it will not be all that accurate anyway in absolute terms.

Emissivity of radiators (or black pvc tape on pipes) is pretty good. An IR
thermometer makes short work of measuring temperature drop over radiators.
Doing the same with contact thermometers takes an age and a half.

Measuring bare copper pipe is not accurate but adding a half inch square
of
black tape makes all the difference.

--

Agreed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slurp" wrote:

Agreed (use of black tape)

Thanks for your replies, I intend to use black tape as recommended in the
FAQ and your replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slurp" wrote:
Why not use an ordinary el cheapo thermometer - you know, the ones with an
outside sensor for about 9 quid, like:-
http://tinyurl.com/y2uxvw

Unless you know the emissivity of the object you are measuring with an IR
thermometer it will not be all that accurate anyway in absolute terms.

Slurp

It isn't infrared which is what the FAQ recommends, plus the use of black
tape. I want to do it once and do it right and I don't want to spend cheap
then pay double.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:11:34 +0100, "Codswallop" wrote:

|Does the following eBay item look satisfactory for balancing domestic
|central heating radiators?
|http://tinyurl.com/y4olvf
|
|The nearest alternative is the following but would be over 40 quid with
|postage.
|http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=IN02293
|
|Details of any alternatives appreciated.

But to balance domestic central heating radiators you must measure the
temperature of the air in the room. The surface temp of the radiator is
irrelevant.

Or not ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in
:

You mean that this FAQ is wrong?
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

FAQ is correct. I can't imagine what Dave is thinking about.

Thank gawd - I thought it was me that had lost the plot there.

(I'm a bit low on self-esteem)

mike

infrared thermometer Ron UK diy 18 October 18th 06 07:49 PM
Freezer thermometer recommendation (digital) (wireless?) (UK) Allan Gould UK diy 4 August 30th 06 09:12 PM
Does moving air read cooler than still air on thermometer? Chris UK diy 6 July 29th 06 04:05 PM
infrared pyrometer in hvac peter Home Repair 3 May 2nd 06 07:42 PM
IR Thermometer David Hearn UK diy 3 December 16th 03 01:06 PM