Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer thermometer recommendation (digital) (wireless?) (UK)

I'm looking for a digital freezer thermometer for a domestic freezer. It
would seem the majority are hard-wired at present, although there is a
suggestion of some wirless models in the not too distant future.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

There seem to be quite a few models around, but no objective information
on the range. They mainly seem to have the display on the outside
(attached with the equievalent of a fridge magnet) and the sensor inside
attached by a cable which goes through the door (and apparently the door
seal just shuts right on top)

Google groups didn't throw up a great deal, although there was a posting
about an RF model in this ng in about 2004.
I found a couple of reasonable pages with some digital models viz
http://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk/...eters _7.html
http://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/ac...rmometers.html

I want to avoid the scenario where to find the thermometer you have to
open the freezer door and hunt around for the thermometer, thereby
letting lots of warm air in and affecting the temperature reading.

The majority of digital models seem to run on batteries, which would be
fine, but a mains powered version would be just as good.

TIA

Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:46:34 +0100, Allan Gould
wrote:

|I'm looking for a digital freezer thermometer for a domestic freezer. It
|would seem the majority are hard-wired at present, although there is a
|suggestion of some wirless models in the not too distant future.
|
|Does anyone have any recommendations?
|
|There seem to be quite a few models around, but no objective information
|on the range. They mainly seem to have the display on the outside
|(attached with the equievalent of a fridge magnet) and the sensor inside
|attached by a cable which goes through the door (and apparently the door
|seal just shuts right on top)
|
|Google groups didn't throw up a great deal, although there was a posting
|about an RF model in this ng in about 2004.
|I found a couple of reasonable pages with some digital models viz
|http://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk/...eters _7.html
|http://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/ac...rmometers.html
|
|I want to avoid the scenario where to find the thermometer you have to
|open the freezer door and hunt around for the thermometer, thereby
|letting lots of warm air in and affecting the temperature reading.
|
|The majority of digital models seem to run on batteries, which would be
|fine, but a mains powered version would be just as good.

I find the digital ones with probe very suitable as you only need to use it
occasionally, just drop the probe in through the magnetic seal on the door.
I have one in a freezer ATM.
As this is uk.d-i-y these are suitable for a multitude of uses.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ter&do y=30m8
many other suppliers for this type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Allan Gould" wrote in message
[...]

I am wondering what kind of a battery would perform well enough
at -18 deg c to power the sensor.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:

I am wondering what kind of a battery would perform well enough
at -18 deg c to power the sensor.

I get the impression the battery is in the display unit which is on the
outside of the freezer - or am I missing something?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:

I am wondering what kind of a battery would perform well enough
at -18 deg c to power the sensor.

I get the impression the battery is in the display unit which is on the
outside of the freezer - or am I missing something?

The OP suggests wireless ones are available.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%