Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drill grease

I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried both B&Q
& Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these drills.

Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...grease&x=0&y=0

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

handy-andy wrote:
I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried both B&Q
& Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these drills.

Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Molybdenum sulphide grease, any motor factor or Halfords.

--
Grunff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
handy-andy wrote:
I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried both
B&Q & Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these drills.

Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Molybdenum sulphide grease, any motor factor or Halfords.

As it is used on car CV joints

Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

"Grunff" wrote in message
handy-andy wrote:
I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried both
B&Q & Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these drills.

Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Molybdenum sulphide grease, any motor factor or Halfords.

As it is used on car CV joints

Yep - I asked my local garage, and they gave me a handful of
sachets. They come with CV joints, but they grease them with
a gun, so they never use the supplied molybdenum disulphide
grease sachets.

Note this is for applying to the back of the bits. I don't know
if you use the same grease in the gearbox, which is what I think
the OP is asking. My Metabo SDS gearbox can only be regreased by
the manufacturer, so I've never needed to investigate.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Molybdenum sulphide grease,

Why an MS2 grease ? It seems unnecessary in this application, and it's
filthy stuff. What's the benefit?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Why an MS2 grease ? It seems unnecessary in this application, and it's
filthy stuff. What's the benefit?

I think the reason it's specified for sds is the high shear strength.
Probably also because it's readily available. But I have seen several
manufacturers of sds drills specify it.

--
Grunff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grunff writes:
Andy Dingley wrote:

Why an MS2 grease ? It seems unnecessary in this application, and it's
filthy stuff. What's the benefit?

I think the reason it's specified for sds is the high shear strength.
Probably also because it's readily available. But I have seen several
manufacturers of sds drills specify it.

It also needs to be a rubber-friendly grease.
I used the wrong type on drill bits to start with, and it
perished the rubber nose of the chuck, which stopped it
working properly. Metabo were very good and sent me a new
SDS chuck for free, as apparently there should have been a
tube of the right grease supplied with the drill, but it was
missing. They also told me it had to be a molybdenum disulphide
grease.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct 2006 07:45:14 -0700, wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com...blah

cough £133.00/kg! Better off buying a 1kg tin of Molybdenum sulphide
grease for less than a tenner from the likes of Halfrauds.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

handy-andy wrote:
I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried
both B&Q & Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these
drills.
Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Andy.

Cheers guys, a trip to Halford's tomorrow for Molybdenum Sulphite grease.

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 20 Oct 2006 07:45:14 -0700, wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com...blah

cough £133.00/kg! Better off buying a 1kg tin of Molybdenum sulphide
grease for less than a tenner from the likes of Halfrauds.

Alternatively you can buy a small pot from Screwfix for about 25 quid,
which comes with a free 6kg cheapo SDS drill! (or maybe theat's the
other way round? Anyway, better than I got when I bought my Bosch drill!)

David