Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Quality

Is there much to choose between different suppliers' twin and earth?
Contacted 3 suppliers for 6mm T&E and got one at £2.19/m and two at £1.10/m.
Looks like the first is just a rip off merchant, but thought I would check.
Remembered to ask the last one whose cable he supplied and received a vague
"could be one of four" reply.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Is there much to choose between different suppliers' twin and earth?
Contacted 3 suppliers for 6mm T&E and got one at £2.19/m and two at
£1.10/m. Looks like the first is just a rip off merchant, but thought I
would check. Remembered to ask the last one whose cable he supplied and
received a vague "could be one of four" reply.

In terms of performance they should all be the same as they *should*
conform to the same BS - and any reputable seller would only stock these.

I've only once come across a faulty batch - and that from a respected
maker. They'd not used enough chalk or whatever and the outer sheath was
partially welded to the inner insulation making it difficult to strip back.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've only once come across a faulty batch - and that from a respected
maker. They'd not used enough chalk or whatever and the outer sheath was
partially welded to the inner insulation making it difficult to strip back.

I have had that problem once with cable from B&Q. Assumed it was
chepo cable rather than aa bad batch and have never bought cable from
them since.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

I've only once come across a faulty batch - and that from a respected
maker. They'd not used enough chalk or whatever and the outer sheath was
partially welded to the inner insulation making it difficult to strip
back.

Funny, I thought that's what all the unsold "Brut 33" talc was used for!!
Can't believe there's any shortage

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 581094 20061020 140512 "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Is there much to choose between different suppliers' twin and earth?
Contacted 3 suppliers for 6mm T&E and got one at £2.19/m and two at
£1.10/m. Looks like the first is just a rip off merchant, but thought I
would check. Remembered to ask the last one whose cable he supplied and
received a vague "could be one of four" reply.

In terms of performance they should all be the same as they *should*
conform to the same BS - and any reputable seller would only stock these.

I've only once come across a faulty batch - and that from a respected
maker. They'd not used enough chalk or whatever and the outer sheath was
partially welded to the inner insulation making it difficult to strip back.

I just got some like that from Wickes - and it was 10 mm so really difficult to strip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Is there much to choose between different suppliers' twin and earth?

The way copper prices are going, find a supplier who updates their
pricelist infrequently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Andy Dingley "
contains these words:

The way copper prices are going, find a supplier who updates their
pricelist infrequently.

They'll be the ones with no stock!

--
Skipweasel

wiring woes part two Staffbull UK diy 13 September 6th 06 11:45 PM
Remote control to turn on cable box, select a channel, then vcr bytimer? Dan Electronics Repair 4 June 29th 06 08:19 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
3 way switch disaster (long but interesting) RB Home Repair 8 July 23rd 04 02:18 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM