Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Back to the wall toilet

I am about to install a back to the wall toilet, not wall hung but one of
those type where the pan hides all the plumbing. If installing a 'normal'
WC I would fit it all and plumb up to the cistern connectors. Has anybody
here installed one of these thing and if so how? My main concern is if any
of the joints (mains and soil) leak slightly, as the WC pan body will cover
the joints up so I cannot check after installation. Also the pan body will
cover the existing service valve so that in order to do any washer
replacement etc. in the future the whole house main supply will need to be
turned off. Is this not against regs, as I thought all new installations
had to have service valves.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I am about to install a back to the wall toilet, not wall hung but one of
those type where the pan hides all the plumbing. If installing a 'normal'
WC I would fit it all and plumb up to the cistern connectors. Has anybody
here installed one of these thing and if so how? My main concern is if any
of the joints (mains and soil) leak slightly, as the WC pan body will cover
the joints up so I cannot check after installation. Also the pan body will
cover the existing service valve so that in order to do any washer
replacement etc. in the future the whole house main supply will need to be
turned off. Is this not against regs, as I thought all new installations
had to have service valves.

Cheers

John

I have and I'm not really sure I follow. The pipework etc goes in the
"wall" at the back of the WC and that's where your cistern will be and
the join to the stack if a horizontal outlet.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
[...]

Thanks, the 'problem' I have is that the wall behind the toilet is an actual
wall not a plasterboard box and the feed pipe comes vertically through the
floor. The soil pipe goes horizontally through the house wall. The inlet
connection for the cistern will be hidden by the body of the WC pan I cannot
think of a guaranteed way of getting everything together and leak proof.

This is the suite I am installing and the inlet is on the other side but the
pan body is the same on both sides.

http://www.betterbathrooms.com/image...& rec_id=1733

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Forget the glossy pics ,they are normally installed with a panel in two
halves so that access to the soil and flush connections can be made,or they
have access from the other side of the wall.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
[...]

This is not was is normally called a back to the wall toilet - they
have concealed cisterns.

I've fitted similar ones - basically the cistern connection is done
using a flexi tail, with a valve if you like (that way if necessary you
can shuffle the whole thing a couple of inches out and isolate the
supply, although turning off the house supply would be easier)

The pan connection comes down to exact positioning and firm fixing of
the soil pipe. The ones I've down have had a 90 degree connector to go
down through the floor, but the principle is the same. As long as the
front edge of the pan connector is in the right place the pan will just
push on. You can usually see the connection from the top without the
cistern on, so you can try it out and see if it works, although you
will need to do the final connection blind with the cistern on.

They're not as hard as you might expect.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the advice/info. I'll have a look in the cistern bits to see if
there is a flexible connector, if not I'll go and buy one. Hopefully the
soil pipe is at the correct height for the pan outlet although I can get an
offset pan connector to take up some misalignment if necessary.

Cheers

John

toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Raising shed walls/trusses keyridge Woodworking 12 July 8th 05 12:54 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Wall mount toilet blues Joerg Home Repair 9 October 8th 04 06:45 PM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM