Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Default Prefabricated Flues and Coal Effect Gas Fires

I have asked about these a few times but haven't got any response so I
just trying again to see if anybody out there has fitted on or you are
an installer.
All the maunfactures catalogues say is that a particular type will fit
a prefabricated flue but there are no details of how.
I visited a wholesale flue company today to buy a new 135 degree elbow
to replace a damaged on on the existing 4 inch flue system so I was
asking how these fires are fitted. It seems that they will only fit 5
inch flues so I am pretty ****ed to have found out by accident what the
actual requirements for fitting are.
The flue system has been in the house over 20 years so I don't really
want to rip it out and put a 5 inch system in unless I really have to
so does anybody know if you can convert 5 inch to 4 inch.
The gas collection box that the fire sits it has a 5 inch outlet at the
top.
Upstairs the flue is all boxed in and will be an absolute pain to
replace.
I will be getting an installer to fit the fire but I don't see how I
can have confidence in buying a fire in the first place unless the
suppliers are a little bit more forthcoming requirements for fitting.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:
[...]

You want an increasing adaptor for the liner.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/10es

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You want an increasing adaptor for the liner.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/10es

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thanks for that. I have since spoken to an installer and apparantly
there is a limited range available for fitting to a 4 inch pipe so I
will follow that up. My only concern is that knowing how funny gas regs
are would an installer fit a fire designed for a 5 inch flue to a 4
inch flue. Although it is only 1 inch on diameter that is 36% reduction
in surface area.
I assume that these things are that way for a reason. My symplistic
mind would assume that the gas velocity in a larger diameter flue would
just be less than the smaller diameter flue. The old gas fire worked
perfectly ok.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You want an increasing adaptor for the liner.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/10es

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thanks for that. I have since spoken to an installer and apparantly
there is a limited range available for fitting to a 4 inch pipe so I
will follow that up. My only concern is that knowing how funny gas
regs are would an installer fit a fire designed for a 5 inch flue to
a 4 inch flue. Although it is only 1 inch on diameter that is 36%
reduction in surface area.
I assume that these things are that way for a reason. My symplistic
mind would assume that the gas velocity in a larger diameter flue
would just be less than the smaller diameter flue. The old gas fire
worked perfectly ok.

Kevin

For a gas fire this would be ok,however a stove would require a wider flue
liner 5" to 6".

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite